wyeast 1007 - german ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hi all,

currently fermenting a kolsch with this yeast and wanted to know if anyone had some first hand experience with any taste differences at different temperatures. i'm trying to keep it as crisp and lager-like as possible, ie, don't want any fruity-ness, but need the beer made relatively fast so am trying to compromise a bit. mine is sitting at 16-17C (16 on STC but it always adds the extra 1C due to fermentation temps). i've read that it can go to as low as 12C which i might have done, but again, wanted it to hurry along.

any first hand experiences with this yeast and various temps?

EDIT: i've read this thread: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/46378-yeast-of-the-week-19710-1007-german-ale/

just looking for more experience too if anyone else has used it.

Gets a bit estery much above 14-15.

I use it a bit but it's been a long time since I ran it slightly warmer (probably first couple of times I used it) at around 16. Still nice but my memory doesn't tell me which esters (so probably not banana or red apple as I'm a fan of neither).

Takes ages to drop so not a yeast I would have chosen if I wanted to push the brew along. A yeast for patient people.

That said, if I were trying to do what you were, I'd start cool (towards 12) and allow the temp to rise after 3 or so days. Should limit ester production.

Great malty clean yeast if you give it the time. I saw you were brewing a kolsh in the brewing thread. Personally I prefer 2565 for kolsh but the German ale is a very good yeast. Great for blonde ales. In fact in any beer you wanted the malt to shine IMHO. I did a few pseudo lagers with it that were very good.

cheers guys! eek. i didn't realise it was a slow goer but no worries if it ends up a little slower i suppose. and it looks like i'm in for some esters, even if slight. oh well. live and learn. thanks for the replies. will see how it turns out all the same.

The esters at that temp IMHO won't be anywhere near a uk ale fermented 20+ so it still should come out fine.

Latest posts

Back