WY1469 (West Yorkshire Ale): Massive krausen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it's a mild I didn't want it to attenuate as much as it has. I did think about giving it a swirl but thought it could attenuate further.

I will probably cc it tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks

It's almost definitely not krausen, i.e. the foam from actively fermenting beer, it's the yeast rising to the top to form a mat following attenuation and just float there. A few true top fermenting yeasts still do that, including Wy 1469. You can skim and save, using sanitized equipment of course.

Also with UK milds a good way of ensuring a high FG is to mash really high, around 70 degrees.

Mashed at 68 for this one. Turned out ok at this temp with an ESB yeast but will definitely go higher next time.

I'm going to re use the yeast by rinsing it. I have never took yeast from the top, how much do I need, do I need to do a starter and will it keep for a few weeks? These are the questions I have but couldn't find answers so thought it may be easier to stick with what I know.

Latest posts

Back