Recipedb - Drsmurto's English Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gone and bought the ingredients for this, had to go with the US05. The online store I got everything from only sells grains in 5kg and 1kg bags, so had to get 6kg Maris Otter Pale Malt rather than 5.5kg. Would throwing in the whole 6kgs make too much difference, or should I keep the other 500g for another time? According to Beersmith the difference is about 0.007 OG points, I guess it will just make it slightly thicker/stronger ABV?

I'm leaning towards saving it for another batch, just wondering...

I've gone and bought the ingredients for this, had to go with the US05. The online store I got everything from only sells grains in 5kg and 1kg bags, so had to get 6kg Maris Otter Pale Malt rather than 5.5kg. Would throwing in the whole 6kgs make too much difference, or should I keep the other 500g for another time? According to Beersmith the difference is about 0.007 OG points, I guess it will just make it slightly thicker/stronger ABV?

I'm leaning towards saving it for another batch, just wondering...
It's already a strong abv brew, if you want it a little stronger throw it in. Beersmith is your friend....

I would have thought Fermentis S-04 or a Danstar Windsor (English Ale Yeasts) would be a more suitable dry yeast choice for an English IPA than the US-05 (American Ale) though? I guess it depends if it's the English or IPA part you're more concerned about.

It's already a strong abv brew, if you want it a little stronger throw it in. Beersmith is your friend....

I would have thought Fermentis S-04 or a Danstar Windsor (English Ale Yeasts) would be a more suitable dry yeast choice for an English IPA than the US-05 (American Ale) though? I guess it depends if it's the English or IPA part you're more concerned about.

You're right, it's strong enough. I might just save it for next time.

I did mention S-04 (above post), but DrSmurto said to use US-05 in the absence of liquid yeasts. His recipe, I guess he knows what he's talking about.

S-04 is a horrid yeast, marginally better than nottingham (IMO). Windsor is a low attenuator so no good in a high abv beer.

A good english yeast in liquid form tops this beer off but the malt and hops will still give you a nice beer.

The one i currently have on tap used the cask ale yeast (WY1026). I'd suggest WY1028 or WY1469 as alternatives.

The reason it is not an american IPA is the lower hopping rates and balance. The yeast won't make it american.

Just took my first FG reading after 8 days, at 1.012. Looks like the fermentation has finished, will take another one over the weekend.

It tastes good!

I agree whole heartedly about S-04.. wont have the fking thing on the property.. but Notto?

You dislike it MORE than S-04?

Just curious as to why Doc?

I can't stand Nottingham. It mutes hops and dulls malt and leaves a dusty taste behind.

US05 is streets ahead albeit boring and tardy to floc. At least it leaves the malt and hops unscathed.

S-04 is similar to Nottingham minus the dust.

My 2 c.

I use liquid yeasts 95% of the time, the only dry yeast i have on stock is US05 and Windsor and both are mainly there as backups or for brewing for mates.

I can't stand Nottingham. It mutes hops and dulls malt and leaves a dusty taste behind.

US05 is streets ahead albeit boring and tardy to floc. At least it leaves the malt and hops unscathed.

S-04 is similar to Nottingham minus the dust.

My 2 c.

I use liquid yeasts 95% of the time, the only dry yeast i have on stock is US05 and Windsor and both are mainly there as backups or for brewing for mates.

Mine tend to get used as a backup for my brewing mates, you know the Sunday phonecall for emergency yeast?

Been looking for a nice IPA to try, and always had success with every one of your recipes I've tried so I think I'll be queueing this up :)

Just cracked open a taster, very nice. Still a little green as it's only a little over two weeks in the bottles, but I think this will be a very nice beer.

Will try another one in another week. Just went and bought myself some MACs Pale Ale (had run out of Sassy Red) so that I won't be tempted...all my home brew is gone after my last brew was a disaster and ended up tipping half of it.

Well, thak you Dr Smurto, thank you very bloody much. Because of you I now have to go an buy some more beer!!!

Was planning on this beer lasting at least a few weeks until my next brew is ready to drink, not to be unfortunately. Had some people around this weekend and they liked this beer so much they cleaned out half of my supply.

Damn you Dr Smurto.

DrSmurto said:
The one i currently have on tap used the cask ale yeast (WY1026). I'd suggest WY1028 or WY1469 as alternatives.
Has anyone made this with WY1469?. I have heaps of Challenger hops to use (a few years old but hopefully still fresh enough) and a fresh WY1469 recovered yeast so keen to use both but curious as to anyone's experience of the mix of Challenger and WY1469.

Back