First parti-gyle: Have I got this right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ80

Reaction score
Evening all,

Am keen to brew a Russian Imperial Stout for next winter, but really only need 10L of RIS so thought I'd give a parti-gyle a crack. Using this table (http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.2/moshertable.html) it would seem a 1.060 brew can be split 1/3 at 1.090 and 2/3 at 1.045. This would give me 10L of RIS and 21L of something hopefully resembling an American Brown Ale.

Here's the plan:

Grain bill (31L total batch size - 70% efficiency):
7.5kg Maris Otter
300g Chocolate
300g Roasted barley
300g flaked barley
300g victory

Method:
23L strike water - use a temp calculator to mash at 66C
Take first runnings - aiming for 14L for RIS pre-boil volume
Add 14L and possible 250g pale crystal (is this needed?) - leave 30 mins then mash out @ 78C
Take runnings and batch sparge with another 14L - aiming for 28L brown ale pre-boil volume
I'll do the RIS in my trusty 19L Big W pot on the stove and the brown ale will go into my keggle

RIS hop schedule
Total IBUs - 72
30g Northern Brewer @ 60 mins (62 IBUs)
30g fuggles @ 10 mins (10 IBUs)

Fermented at 18C with WY1084

American Brown Ale hop schedule
Total IBUs - 35
10g citra @60 mins (19 IBUs)
22g citra @5 mins (8 IBUs)
25g mosaic @ 5 mins (8 IBUs)
25g mosaic dry hopped after ferment almost done

Fermented at 18C with US-05 (or BRY97)

How does this look from a technique perspective - am I on the right track? Am also keen for any feedback on overall recipes - I played around with efficiencies in BrewMate to take OG into account for hop utilisation. I am a little limited regarding hops, as I only have the following on hand:

88g Northern Brewer
30g Fuggles
32g citra
50g mosaic
51g Amarillo
20g Goldings (flowers)
40g Mouteka
9g Galena
13g Target

Cheers guys and thanks in advance!

AJ

Cant comment on the recipe, but this rather long winded Brew TV vid gives a good rundown of the procedure.
They get on with it at around the 8.30 mark.

http://youtu.be/QdQTN35crIM

without doing any arithmetic or looking at the 1 I did, it would feel the grain is low ?

For the brown I would look at this for the hops (adjust accordingly for the gravity)

Cheers guys - I suppose the big difference in what I'm planning (read hoping) to achieve is one small volume high gravity beer (the RIS) and one large volume lower gravity beer (the brown). The one above is two beers of about the same batch size.

I'll give it a crack and report back on how I go...I'll have a bit of DME on hand in case I stuff this up royally. Worst case, I'll have made beer!

For anyone interested, I knocked this out today. Results:

- 12L of RIS at 1.086 (was gunning for 10L at 1.090). Will be fermented on WY1084.
- 21L of American brown/dark ale at 1.040 (was aiming for 21L at 1.045). Will be fermented on US-05.

Given this was my first crack at a parti-gyle I'm pretty happy with the results. Smelled great and am looking forward to trying them out.

Latest posts

Back