Recipe Check - First brew IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoetemeyer

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have not yet brewed my first brew, but am looking to do a really hoppy IPA as a first try. I am after a fruity, non bitter brew. I have been reading extensively about everything from the the type of grain to use to the type of hops and when and how to use them. I have a Granifather setup and a kegging system, but have yet to find the exact recipe I am after. I would like to start with a SMaSH IPA using Marris Otter and Galaxy. I have asked on other forums, but essentially have been advised to just work out the grain bill based on the desired ABV. Have done a bit of homework and have come up with the following as a starting point (with the help of Beersmith and the Grandfather app). Does anyone see any glaring (or subtle) issues with it? Any recommended improvements?

SMaSH IPA
6kg Maris Otter
150g Galaxy Pellets (16.5%AA)
1pkt Safale American Ale Yeast US-05

Grainfather
Batch volume 20l
Mash volume 19.7l
Sparge volume 10.1l

OG 1.069
FG 1.013
ABV 7.59%
IBUs 43.8
SRM 6.93

Mash temp 67C
Mash time 60min
Mash out temp 74C
Mash out time 10 min
Fermentation temp 18C

Hop Schedule
5g Galaxy FWH IBUs 10.8
80g Galaxy Whirlpool (steep 30min) IBUs 33
60g Galaxy Dry Hop Day 4
60g Galaxy Dry Hop Day 7

Looks ok for a simple IPA recipe. I'd advise getting two packets of yeast for that OG though. You could do a starter to increase yeast no.s, but given this is your first ever brew, keep it simple and spend the extra $4-$5. It'll be worth it.

Ensure you clean everything well and then sanitise everything well prior to the fermentation stage and you will have less disappointments. Good luck and post further questions if they crop up as there will just about be someone on here to give advice.

EDIT - along the keep it simple for your first brew, I'd maybe just do one dry hop addition of 120gm. Saves opening the fermentor as often with same same results. Or rather no dry hop and add all at flameout. On your first brew, anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering about the yeast. I have more, so will add two pks. Does adding hops at flameout give as a good a result as dry hopping? I am keen to keep the risk of spoiling as low as possible, so if this is a good alternative, it makes sense to me to do it this way. I have 500g of Galaxy, so can also up the ante on the hops if needed.

Similar, but different. Yes I know that is not a great answer, but in time you will do both and see for yourself which you prefer. I personally don't dry hop much, but others here do.

Also with the yeast, I'd recommend following Safale's instructions on re-hydrating at the volume and temps they suggest. You can sprinkle the yeast on and it will work, but the viability of the yeast is better when re-hydrated as per instructions. If you're not sure on brew day then skip it and sprinkle away.

Similar, but different. Yes I know that is not a great answer, but in time you will do both and see for yourself which you prefer. I personally don't dry hop much, but others here do.

Also with the yeast, I'd recommend following Safale's instructions on re-hydrating at the volume and temps they suggest. You can sprinkle the yeast on and it will work, but the viability of the yeast is better when re-hydrated as per instructions. If you're not sure on brew day then skip it and sprinkle away.

Thank for the tip. I'll do that.

You can always dry hop in the keg with galaxy if the flavours not quite right for you . I had recent success doing this . Only needs about a day otherwise I found it starts to get a little grassy

Latest posts

Back