Wy 1728 Ferment Temp And Harvest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a pack of 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast. Have never used it before.

I am going to ferment a mild at ambient temps, which may go up to 24/25 this week. I plan to reuse the yeast.

I don't split the packs, don't have the equipment/inclination.

I harvest and wash from batch to batch, and usually do that for 3 to 4 batch maximum.

What will the effect on the yeast of fermenting up to 24/25 degrees on the first batch and then re-using on the second/thrid batches, I will be able to keep the other batches at 20 degrees as my ferment fridge is full of lager at the moment but will be free for the second batch.

So the bottom line is how will the higher ferment temp on the first generation of yeast effect the performance of the other generations of yeast?

Cheers,
Wade

Hi WSC,
that's ambient air temps, right? I'd suggest that unless you park your fermenter in the sun (no, don't! :blink: ), depending on where you site it, due to the wort's thermal mass that inside the fermenter it would be more like 10-14 min and 18-20 max. If you can insulate your fermenter, something like a nice stable 16 or 17 which is much more desirable and not bad for an ale yeast, maybe just a shade on the cool side but not too objectionable to the yeast, it just takes longer. 1728 has a wide recommended range of 13- 24, so it should be OK like that.
In a fridge would be far better though, with a batch going in every week the exothermic heat keeps things warm and my ale fridge is a stable and decent 17, the compressor hasn't fired up in yonks, I just put a container with couple of litres of hot water in on the really cool nights.

Hope this helps! :icon_cheers:

I think the fridge might be better. What temp is the lager fermenting at? I've fermented that yeast down to about 11-12C in the garage a couple of years ago. First generation might be pushing it I guess, but certainly if there's a good amount of yeast it will work at those temps really well.

So the bottom line is how will the higher ferment temp on the first generation of yeast effect the performance of the other generations of yeast?
Yeast will happily grow at 24-25 and doing so should have little to no impact on the suitability for harvesting/repitching (assuming all other factors are the same).

Thanks for the replies guys.

Temp is dropping over the weekend so will hold off but as a few of you said the ambient is 24 but in most cases the large mass of beer means it stays more stable around the 20 degree mark.

As this is the first generation I will take care with the temps.

Thanks again.

Bugger just checked BOM again and they say Sunday will be 27...........will not be pitching now until the fridge is free.......so much for winter...

Back