Wy 1187

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lower OG beer will allow you to pitch a tad lower but a good whipping with a whisk the day after pitching would help. Gently rousing by swirling the fermenter every day after that (if necessary, often not) and then once you are seeing the krausen drop raise the temp to 20-22C to get the last point or 2.

I wouldn't have bothered splitting the yeast, this strain can be happily top cropped.

Cheers Smurto! Would you ferment at 18c at the outset until the Krausen drops?

I've used 1187 a bunch of times. it's one of my favourite yeasts, a fact that isn't influenced by my obsession with Dogfish Head (I believe it's what their house strain is a derivative of).

Here are some of the things I've learnt:

- Correct count at the beginning is very important. Too much and the yeast character can be intense. Too little and it will shit its self after a few days.
- A healthy start will insure a healthy finish. I know this is the rule for all yeasts, but it's particularly true with ringwood. Do a starter.
- They can go to sleep prematurely. I often rouse the fermenter at first twice a day and once fermentation slows down once every day or two.
- You'll need to do a diacetyl rest at the end.

So, pretty much all the stuff you should be doing anyway. Ringwood is like a super hot woman. Pay her just the right amount of attention and you'll be rewarded in the end. Pay her too little attention and she will fall asleep.

Hope this helps!

Joel

The other thing about Wy Ringwood is that if you ferment below 20 you get a good middle of the road ale, and with the right grains and water it's brilliant, absolutely brilliant in a TTL style - it was my standby in the dark years when 1469 was drip fed to us once every two years. (Edit: Ringwood brewery is in the South of England but the yeast was brought from the Hull, Yorkshire, brewery when it got shut down.)

Fermented above 20 it can throw some very interesting and intriguing esters if you're into that sort of thing, and I can imagine some American micros doing that to interact with their range of hops.

WOW you guys aren't wrong with this one being lazy! She took off like a rocket and I gave her a good whisking the second day but day three and the krausen had definitely died back.. still there but not much.... Gave her a good swirl and nearly blew the gladwrap off with the CO2 generated and the krausen was back!

Will swirl lightly for the next day or two and then raise to 20c as its sitting at 18c now.

Smurto - Looking forward to the Light Amber! Smells great!

Camo :D

This is one of my main yeasts in the brewery, i treat it the same as the other yeast i use.
The main thing is to pitch proper amounts of healthy yeast and provide the right ammount of oxygen. I do add more oxygen to the bottom of the cone 6 hours after pitching.
I have found that i prefer this yeast in its second or third generation.

Back