Wtf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebejeckel

Reaction score
Just racked a biab brew and found this "stuff" in my fermentor,....
can anyone tell me what it is, made a normal biab but at boil end threw in a bit of white sugar to dry it out a bit, andy ideas,

DSC_0397_20100219_212706.JPG

Looks a little sinister... but I'm a little confused what stage of the brew it's in, has primary fermentation finished? If so, draw a sample, smell and taste it. Did you smell anything funny when you opened the fermenter lid to take the photo?

finished fermenting, been in drum 10 days, photo taken as racking, could it be to much sugar? or sugar added to a near boiling brew and somehow crystallizing? doesn't smell bad, didn't taste it,

Nope, wouldn't be sugar. Take a sample before you bottle/keg it, smell and taste it and report back. It could well be fine.

Do you put any stuff in it? Gypsum? Other powdery stuff that your brew could spit back out...

Mine occasionally produces a scaly white scum like stuff around the top after bottling, leave it a few more days, it dissipates... no worries... just give it some time!!

Mate, I have had that a few times, only with kits though. I nearly tipped it the first time, but glad I didn't. Tasted fine.
Sorry i can't offer any suggestions as to what it may be.

Mate, I have had that a few times, only with kits though. I nearly tipped it the first time, but glad I didn't. Tasted fine.
Sorry i can't offer any suggestions as to what it may be.

No idea what it is either, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the same thing once too. Tasted fine in the fermenter though so I bottled and ended up with beer that tasted fine.

As long as it tastes normal in the fermenter you should be fine I reckon.

Back