• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB - Hop Rhizomes WA/PERTH

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMB_D

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to AHB and a fairly amateur homebrewer. I do however have an interest in growing hops as I've been growing herbs and vegetables for a couple years now so it would overlap both hobbies. As we all know Australian biosecurity is tough and although hops are considering 's11 permitted' there's a lot of other generic import regulations that end up with most places just excluding WA. So I'm hunting for some local suppliers of various rhizomes, any one know some? Or could sell me a cutting or two?

Cheers,
D

Hi Mate - I have 1 x Hallertau hop plant in a pot that you can have for $30.

I brought it from another home brewer here last season but I unfortunately have to let it go as I don't have the right area to keep it (needs full sun)

cheers,
Rod.

I'll send you a PM cheers!

Also I'm aware that it's a bit early for harvesting rhizomes (well I think it is) so anyone who may have some in the future please let me know. Also happy to take potted plants like above! I need to build up a garden of several varieties, as they say it's the spice of life. Also if any of you do know anywhere that does send to WA (usually for a quarantine surcharge) please tell me!

Cheers,
D

I have a Red Earth you can have. It's in a little pot but I'd want to keep the pot. Are you NOR?

Nah mate I'm actually east up in the hills, Mundaring area. Though I can come collect it. Red Earth is the one from that bloke down Albany way isn't it (or so I think I read)? I'd be interested in it for sure.

Yeah that's right, I bought it a few years ago and last year I took cuttings and grew them in pots. It's these cuttings that I don't require. I'll pull one out and see what's down there, see if it's worth your drive.

Cheers Wort.

Thanks for those sites Belgrave Brewer! I shall email them. I did search several times for WA hop farms but wasn't met with much success.

Cheers,
D

How do you legally post from NSW to WA? I would be happy to help get you hops if it isn't too hard.

I will contact WA Quarantine tomorrow morning and see what they say. The site isn't overly useful for private/non-commercial importation.

So I got a very quick and straightforward answer this time. I will have to apply for a permit ($40) which will allow me to import rhizomes (up to 20) from NSW, and I will be charged $60 for inspection. So I'm looking at $100 upfront, no wonder no-one really likes sending to WA! Unless it's bulk/commercial. I would consider doing this still if the rhizomes were cheap/free and there was a reasonable variety or someone else in WA wants to go halves?

I'm also looking for some new varieties. Happy to swap for some POR and cascade, beer or cash money

For anyone else interested in WA, I had a response from Karridale Cottage in the SW. They said things are looking good for june but they won't officially know until then, but should have Cascade, Perle, Goldings, Hallertau, Herbrucker and Cluster. $25/ea +P&H. I sent them an inquiry via their webpage to be on the mailing list.

Latest posts

Back