• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WT Borrow 21mm sheet metal punch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impy

Reaction score
Hi guys, does anyone have a 21mm sheet metal punch I can borrow? Just need to do a couple of 1/2" bsp holes in a stainless pot and would rather borrow than buy new.

I'm in Croydon Park, NSW.

Cheers

Most reviewers seem to suggest that they are. I'm no metalworker but I was able to get much cleaner holes using a punch than normal drill bits in 1.2mm SS, and slightly cleaner than using the Keg King hole saws which were pretty good themselves. I found that the punches are completely stress-free to use - they just work. I haven't tried stepped bits.

I've been wrestling with step bits. With thin pots, step bits make an absolute mess as you have to push quite hard to get them to bite.

By reviews i've been looking into the sheet metal punches seem to be a sure thing that make perfectly sized holes.

Sheet metal punches are awesome, but there are definite limits on the thickness of stainless you can get through. I've managed to use them on plenty of stainless pots and modern kegs, but the reason I can't loan you my 21mm is that I destroyed it trying to get through one of the old Mytton Rodd 18 gallon kegs. Total fan of punches, I've built all sorts of stuff using them, but if you want to go thicker than 2mm or so SS, use a hole saw of some sort.

Last edited:
If you use a punch - make sure the threads are lubed. Either machine oil, or wd-40... Mine worked great initially, sat in the shed for months (years?) before I used them again and it was squealing like hell & then couldn't budge the thing. Belatedly worked out the thing was dry and after a lube it went thru the sheet metal like butter again.

As Mardoo mentioned - this was with <1mm sheet metal. YMMV.

Yeah punches are specifically meant for thin sheet, where the metal would rather deform, than allow itself to be drilled.

Using conventional metal cutting hole saws on a curved surface is a bad idea anyway, because you don't break through the entire surface at the same time, the teeth then start catching on the 'open' edge.

Fucks shit up real nice.

Latest posts

Back