Would You Pitch It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsta

Reaction score
I have a WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale starter on at the moment, i made it monday night. Tuesday morning it had a little krausen and by this morning the krausen has gone i tasted it and its still very sweet.

The airlock is bubbling and i can see tiny bubbles rising up through the wort but they pop at the top.

It still tastes fine, smells fine and looks active except that it has no krausen. Im thinking of posible causes for this could be the OG was too high or i put in too much yeast nutrient.

Has this happened to you? Would you pitch it?

- Hopsta

Sounds like it's active to me. Can you see the yeast building up in the bottom of the vessel?

What's the volume? What did you use- malt, sugar, etc? Volume? Container? time spent in container?

Yeh i can see yeast at the bottom of the vessel. I boiled roughly 1 cup of light dry extract in about 750ml of water.

Im just paranoid of infections when i see odd fermentation behaviour i think the worst.

Variables: Yeast and wort composition, rarely ever the same in homebrewing where we vary brews from batch to batch. Wouldn't worry too much, never pitch a brew until it's really proven to be crap, they can change with time, carbonation etc.

She'll be right....if she smells good, tastes good, is bubbling, sediment on the bottom it'll be ok. Ive have loads of starters without krausen.
:beer:
Steve

Yep, sounds OK to me too. Most of my starters don't krausen much.

I reckon your starter SG looks a shade high though. The standard advice from the white labs / wyeast crowds are to use a 1.020-1.040 wort. An easy rule of thumb is to mix your DME in water at a ratio of 1:10 w/v to get an SG of around 1.036. So for you, 75 grams of DME in your 750 starter should be the right amount.

Variables: Yeast and wort composition, rarely ever the same in homebrewing where we vary brews from batch to batch. Wouldn't worry too much, never pitch a brew until it's really proven to be crap, they can change with time, carbonation etc.

She'll be right....if she smells good, tastes good, is bubbling, sediment on the bottom it'll be ok. Ive have loads of starters without krausen.
:beer:
Steve

Yep, sounds OK to me too. Most of my starters don't krausen much.

I reckon your starter SG looks a shade high though. The standard advice from the white labs / wyeast crowds are to use a 1.020-1.040 wort. An easy rule of thumb is to mix your DME in water at a ratio of 1:10 w/v to get an SG of around 1.036. So for you, 75 grams of DME in your 750 starter should be the right amount.

Well from you say it looks like this will be the first viable starter i've had without a krausen. I always thought they had to have krausen to work :rolleyes: , i'll take comfort in the fact its happened to to you guys before without any negative effects on the brew.

Thanks for that,

Cheers :beer:

Latest posts

Back