Would This Work?!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualties_army40

Reaction score
hey all,

i read on this forum somewhere that larger volumes of brew carbonate quicker, and as i have alot of fermenters, i was thinking if i was able to carbonate with a 25litre plastic fermenter (instead of bottling, just rack into a clean fermenter [without a airlock], bulk prime, then wait).

so do ya'll reckon it'll work?

cheers to all who contribute.

hey all,

i read on this forum somewhere that larger volumes of brew carbonate quicker, and as i have alot of fermenters, i was thinking if i was able to carbonate with a 25litre plastic fermenter (instead of bottling, just rack into a clean fermenter [without a airlock], bulk prime, then wait).

Many ways for that to fail unfortunately. Otherwise people would not bother with kegs and grab 15 buck fermenters instead. The poms do have pressure barrels that work in this way but they are not your everyday fermenter.

Brad

I think you'll find it hard to keep it a pressurised vessel to start with, then how would you go dispencing? What will you have to replenish the lost co2 in the headspace? Personally, I don't see it going too well. But nothing ventured is nothing gained I guess, doesn't look sound to me though.

I could see it working if your plan was to treat the whole batch as one giant bottle and consume it within a few hours (with mates of course).

hey all,

Basic problem that kegs and bottles override is that the gas will escape, leaving flat beer. If you could reduce headspace and make the fermenter completely airtight then you might have a chance. You might also be able to ferment in a shoe. Any reason you want to do this, besides curiosity or laziness?

I made a lid up for a fermenter that allowed me to pressurise it and empty it with CO2 via a racking cane into a keg in my freezer to avoid lifting 50L kegs about the place... I can tell you first hand they won't hold anywhere near enough pressure to carbonat beer

Any reason you want to do this, besides curiosity or laziness?

mostly curiosity, a tiny bit laziness, and i've also got a few extra fermenters that i got for free and are pretty much never used because i never have more than 4 brews on.

also i thought if it does work and if more volume carbonates quicker, then it would be less time until i could drink my homebrew (fully carbonated, that is). only a few longnecks ever see proper carbonation.

i should invest in the equiptment to force carb my brew.
cheers all.

Sounds like a lot of impatience and a need for massive volumes of beer :eek:

mostly curiosity, a tiny bit laziness, and i've also got a few extra fermenters that i got for free and are pretty much never used because i never have more than 4 brews on.

also i thought if it does work and if more volume carbonates quicker, then it would be less time until i could drink my homebrew (fully carbonated, that is). only a few longnecks ever see proper carbonation.

i should invest in the equiptment to force carb my brew.
cheers all.

Sounds to me like you should put those spare fermenters to use and brew more so you have a good cycle of properly fermented brews ready for drinking. I don't think this would work at all and time also makes beer taste better as well as become fizzy.

I say this as a man who will 'test' a bottled brew after 3 days.

im more of a cider person. most people i know brew beers and every now and then a cider. i, on the other hand brew all ciders and every now and then do a beer and the last cider i bottled tasted nicer before i carbonated it (only because it went really dry).

i'll definatley start using those other fermenters to brew some beer though and age them while i drink my cider. cheers for the advice everyone.

Back