Worts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Is it possible to make wort concentrates, like the ones that they sell at woolies, coles or home brew shops?

If so how do I make them and how much does it cost?

Please help me out

Lucas

BrewinginNewcastle said:
Hello all,

Is it possible to make wort concentrates, like the ones that they sell at woolies, coles or home brew shops?

If so how do I make them and how much does it cost?

Please help me out

Lucas
[post="91607"][/post]​

Not intending to be rude, why would you want to make wort concentrate?

edit: yes it is possible

Well from looking at this forum ... the ones that people make from scratch only last a week or so before you have to use them ... I want to make the concentrates and store them, so I can just use them whenever I need them.

Getting a keg kit and work shiftwork, so would much prefer to have concentrates on hand if I want to whip up a batch suddenly without having to go through the mashing processes. As sometimes I wont brew for a few weeks.

Does that make any sense ??? Or am I dribbling ???

So your wanting to make your own hopped extract from grain?

So your wanting to make your own hopped extract from grain?

Hey sluggerdog .... i think thats what I want to do ... I am only new to the scene and want to make some form of concentrate that I can or bottle and store for longer periods, then just use it as I need it ... like the ones I use to make home brew at the moment (from coopers).

Liquid malt extract (LME) is made by boiling wort under a vacuum. This means that as the wort thickens it will not scorch. The process is beyond the equipment of most brewers.

If you have reached the stage of boiling your wort, it would be counterproductive to condense it, then reconstitute it at a future time. Much easier to spend the boil time adding hops, then chilling and pitching yeast.

Get your kit and extract brewing mastered with good sanitation, temperature control and good ingredients. Do some steeping of grains, mini mashes and then start doing ag brews. Read John Palmer's site, link Basically walk before you run at ag.

There are steps you can take to shorten your ag brewday to maximise your hours. Some people do spread brewmaking over two days. Doc manages to do four brews in one day and renovate half the house at the same time. After you have done half a dozen all grain brews, ask again about ways to shorten your brewday and strategies for spreading the process over two days. Unboiled wort is full of bacteria and can only be kept up to 24 hours before it must be boiled to avoid soured brews.

For the moment, buy some of the 3kg paint tin brews, so that when the desire hits, you can put a brew down no matter what time of day or day of the week it is.

quick and easy lucas,forget about making your own if time is a problem and a.g is what your after have you thought about a esb fresh wort kit????
not an a-ger myself but i do the fresh worts and there great.
was told by mel at esb that this is what the a-ger's do when they're push for time and need to get a batch down...
occ

Brewing,

First of all, welcome to the forum....... Your life will not be the same again :huh:

I think OCC has just taken the word out of my mouth. Try ESB fresh worts.

Matt from St Peter's Brewery makes them for Mel at ESB, and they are an all-grain brew.

I'm in the process of getting my AG gear together, and am using these to brew ATM. IMO I wouldn't use anything else.

Cheers,
Jase

Dont get me wrong, I have time ... buts its usally in clumps of 4-5 days off ... so would like to spend those 4-5 days making batchs that I can store and then use later on down the track when I only get half a day or a day off ....

BrewinginNewcastle said:
Dont get me wrong, I have time ... buts its usally in clumps of 4-5 days off ... so would like to spend those 4-5 days making batchs that I can store and then use later on down the track when I only get half a day or a day off ....
[post="91629"][/post]​

You are not really making sense.

If your object is quality spend the time -- if it is speed get a can of gloop and dump and stir. It will all be over in no time at all.

If you want quality and don't all grain brew then as Pint of Lager suggested try the all malt kits. If you want better quality and speed the try a wort kit as also suggested to you.

Do some more research or re-define what you want to achieve.

Beer is not just an instant beverage. It takes time or you end up with rubbish and never experience what 5000 years of history have to offer.

Regardless of the method you eventually use the fermentation, bottling/kegging and conditioning is not an instant process.

If you want instant beer [just add water] there is no such thing.

Better and easier to store it as the final product. Use your days off to make beer, not concentrates. Then store the finished beer in bottles or kegs.

Mad not to just to buy a ESB wort 3kg kit, or even a fresh wort all this stuff taken care of and just do special mash's ect when u have the time, storing these at correct temps and in decent containers would contain so many variances u'd be bound to get infections or offtastes IMO.

BrewinginNewcastle said:
... I am only new to the scene and want to make some form of concentrate that I can or bottle and store for longer periods, then just use it as I need it ... like the ones I use to make home brew at the moment (from coopers).
[post="91613"][/post]​

I think your thread has been pretty well covered by everyone,
My two bobs worth...You'll need a full mash brewery and since your new to the game your aren't going to know how to even use it let alone do what you want to do. I think your barking up the wrong tree, Not trying to be a smart arse and theres nothing wrong with asking what ever questions you may have here thats what its all about.

Good luck with your brewing and stick to the addvice you have recieved so far and you will be sailing along nicely.

I think lager sumed it up well by saying why not just make the beer and store it in bottles. It works quite well actually :chug:

The song remains the same
Jayse

Brewing
I am not sure where you buy your stuff, but I am pretty sure that Mark's Home Brew (not affiliated) sells the 3L ESB wort kits, and he's full of good advice aswell, but it probably wont be any different to what you have received over the last 13 posts. I understand exactly what you are trying to achieve, I just dont know how feasable its going to be. Best of luck with it, if you decide to try it anyway, though I wouldnt be too confident it will work out.
All the best
Trent

Latest posts

Back