Wort Looking "soapy"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongbeer

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone can help me out here.

The last couple of ag batches i have put down, i have noticed they seem to either be Soapy or have an oil-like film on top of the wort (this is only apparent when in my NC cubes). Is this common or have i done something wrong? I have never noticed it before. Thanks in advance!

Without too much info i'de say it was either hop oils... do you cube hop?

or

Residue from washing out your cube... Rinse well.

Thats all I got this early in the morning.

Best thing you can do for a query like this is provide a picture. Then people can give the best advice...

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply's and Pm's guys,
The last couple of grain bills/hop schedules have been the same:

23L
4KG's BB Ale Malt
250G Caramalt
35G POR @ 60min
20g POR @ 30min

S-23 Yeast @ 12deg

But have been coming to a conclusion...... today i cracked an APA that was only just carbed up it had the same Saopyness (soap-like bubbles) in the tallie. just wondering cos i have started using "STARSAN"?. If its not used properly, would it produce this problemL???? But I have always used the correct dosage, and rinsed my tallies with cooled boiled water from my kettle as all the bubbles from the starsan has got me paranoid (I Know rinsing is not the right thing to do but i thought that a boiled water "rinse" would be ok.....

I have always used Home Brand Non-Scented Bleach since i started using Starsan

ive found that starsan can leave what looks like an oil slick on top of the beer. doesnt seem to effect the beer though.

No hops in cubes, I find thats pretty hard to clean out........ and no photos due to no phone (will save a couple of tallies though and take some photos when i have a new phone though...

ive found that starsan can leave what looks like an oil slick on top of the beer. doesnt seem to effect the beer though.

Thanks for the reply mate, I hope thats the only reason! I will (For interests sakes though) do a batch with the "Homebrand Bleach" Brand and a batch with STARSAN for comparison sakes......... (no its not just a good excuse to do a double batch next weekend......LOL)

I've only recently (last couple of months) started using Starsan. I find if you mix the solution stronger than the recommeded amount, it does exhibit detergent like characteristics. Never experienced a slick on top of a ferment though.

If it turns in to a thicker white film like soap scum, it may be acetober...:(

Latest posts

Back