Wort Chiller & Filtering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomicfr33x

Reaction score
Hi Guys..

I'm just about finished putting together my All-Grain rig. The only part of the process still up for grabs is between the boil kettle and the fermenter.

Wort Chiller: I have pretty much decided to buy the Brazed Plate Chiller 20 Plate, Suits 45 litre batches [http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=8662]. It seems to be a very good chiller and uses water wisely. Providing I follow the cleaning instructions carefully there shouldn't be a problem.

Q. Cleaning instructions stipulate that the Plate Chiller must be stored dry, does this mean I could clean it and then put it in the kitchen oven at +100'c to dry it out and effectively sterilize it??

Boil Filtering: I have seen the Filter housing [http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7433] & 1 micron absolute washable pleated filter [http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7432] used for keg-2-keg CO2 filtering. Also noted here Craftbrew.

Q. Can I place the Filter inline with the Plate Chiller to pre-filter the hops and boil debris; thus reducing the possible impact of infection within the plate chiller?? Wort would flow out of boil kettle 100'c --> Pump --> Filter housing --> plate chiller --> fermenter.

Assistance it greatly appreciated.

If you are planning on using pellet hops, a plate chiller IMHO creates more problems than it solves.
Just read all the words expended on different and often only moderately effective methods of keeping stuff out of the thing - from blocking up or losing effieciency from partially blocking up.
I think it just makes brewing more complicated. Your considering a cannister pre-filter is a case in point.
I got fed up with mine.
I tried it because I wasn't happy with the flow through my 3/8" counterflow.
I remade the CFC in 1/2".
I have not looked back.

Hi Guys..

Q. Can I place the Filter inline with the Plate Chiller to pre-filter the hops and boil debris; thus reducing the possible impact of infection within the plate chiller?? Wort would flow out of boil kettle 100'c --> Pump --> Filter housing --> plate chiller --> fermenter.

Answering the second question I would say no it may leach plasticisers at such a temperature .

the test would be taste some water
boil it pass it though the filter
allow to cool and see if there is a noticible difference in taste

Pumpy

1) it's a pita to store them dry, you can equally well store them with full of liquid, just as long as its not semi full.

2)no, there's way too much crap coming out of a boil to catch in one of those filters, they are made for catch trace amounts of yeast in suspension post fermentation. Don't worry about filtering yet, it's a presentation thing and isn't important except maybe for comps.

I have an electric HLT and always leave a few L in there, I time it so its near boiling by the time the wort boiling has finished, then recirculate the boiling water from the hlt through the plate chiller for 5-10min while I whirlpool in the main kettle. That's more than enough to take care of any nasties. I let all kinds of crap go through my chiller and ive never had an infection.

PS plugs/flowers cause problems for plate chillers sometimes, pellet muck goes through them no worries. The only blockage I've ever had was part of a flower being caught in my CPC connection on my kettle.

PS plugs/flowers cause problems for plate chillers sometimes, pellet muck goes through them no worries. The only blockage I've ever had was part of a flower being caught in my CPC connection on my kettle.

thx Sammus.. this is the info i needed.. i have been using pellets upto now and was concerned with the "pellet muck" getting stuck/built-up in the plate chiller.. if you say it is fine/small enough to go straight through then that's FANTASTIC :icon_cheers:

thx Sammus.. this is the info i needed.. i have been using pellets upto now and was concerned with the "pellet muck" getting stuck/built-up in the plate chiller.. if you say it is fine/small enough to go straight through then that's FANTASTIC :icon_cheers:

you can also use a hopsock to help contain most of the hop material.

Check out the sponsors up the top.

Brendo

If you are planning on using pellet hops, a plate chiller IMHO creates more problems than it solves.
Just read all the words expended on different and often only moderately effective methods of keeping stuff out of the thing - from blocking up or losing effieciency from partially blocking up.
I think it just makes brewing more complicated. Your considering a cannister pre-filter is a case in point.
I got fed up with mine.
I tried it because I wasn't happy with the flow through my 3/8" counterflow.
I remade the CFC in 1/2".
I have not looked back.

Not sure what you have been doing wrong Yorg, a plate chiller is so easy to use. I use pellets more often than not and dont have a problem. I do use a hopscreen but i counteract that by tipping to leave 4/5ths of bugger all wort in my kettle.

A quick flush after use with water in both directions and jobs done.

The complicated bit is a bit weird, its no more difficult to use than a CFC.

Back