Wort Aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Connor breware setup. Very happy with it. One bottle probably lasted 7-10 brews ( records aren't my strongpoint). Swapped the gas line for some silicone aquarium hose so it sinks better, though I see he has an upgraded kit now. I used a texta to mark the optimum flow rate on the reg being that it has no flowmeter ( I like B&T's idea). I ran out of o2 recently and have definitely noticed an increase in fermentation times since resorting to the old paint stirrer.
I'd love to get my hands on a medical grade O2 bottle but I wasn't an AG brewer back when I was servicing ambulances. :angry:

Could you use a sterilised whisk and beat the hell out of it for a while once its in the FV?

That's all I did before buying an O2 kit. Works fine and gets adequate oxygenation just not the optimum O2 PPM that aids yeast health and growth.

Camo6 said:
I've got a Connor breware setup. Very happy with it. One bottle probably lasted 7-10 brews ( records aren't my strongpoint). Swapped the gas line for some silicone aquarium hose so it sinks better, though I see he has an upgraded kit now. I used a texta to mark the optimum flow rate on the reg being that it has no flowmeter ( I like B&T's idea). I ran out of o2 recently and have definitely noticed an increase in fermentation times since resorting to the old paint stirrer.
I'd love to get my hands on a medical grade O2 bottle but I wasn't an AG brewer back when I was servicing ambulances. :angry:
7-10 brews doesn't seem like a hell of a lot. What's the bottle cost?

I bout an oxygen bottle from Masters for about $28 and then they had a gas bottle conversion kit for about $25 (similar to that sold at connor .. just looks different) .. I will use the left over gas line or get some softer silicone stuff from work and then just need the difuser... So all up about $65.. BARGAIN !!

Hopefully a cheaper option all up.

Camo6 said:
Masters has the oxygen bottles for about $28-29 Benzomatics

Grainer said:
Yep, I got a replacement for about $30 at Masters the other day. I have done about 5-6 double batches from the first cannister, so 10-12 fermentors, and I think there's still a bit left. I lacky band my tube to a racking cane so I can get better control over it. Once it's in the wort, I adjust the reg down so that bubbles are just gently reaching the surface rather than foaming the hell out of it. Totally going to get one of those flow meters though.

I've noticed that some of my brews have finished a couple of points lower than expected since I started using it.

Grainer said:
That's a good price. Last year when I started the business and selling the kits I tried to get something going with Masters. The best price they would give me was $28 for buying in lots of 20 and that was like pulling teeth. Good to see they are becoming a staple stocked item.

A tip is to do a special order through Bunnings and tell them the Masters price, they will beat it without to much fuss. May as well let the big boys retail fight work for us right?

krausenhaus said:
Yep, I got a replacement for about $30 at Masters the other day. I have done about 5-6 double batches from the first cannister, so 10-12 fermentors, and I think there's still a bit left. I lacky band my tube to a racking cane so I can get better control over it. Once it's in the wort, I adjust the reg down so that bubbles are just gently reaching the surface rather than foaming the hell out of it. Totally going to get one of those flow meters though.

I've noticed that some of my brews have finished a couple of points lower than expected since I started using it.
So around $3 a brew... that seems SUPER expensive for getting some O2 into your brew.

I got 11 brews out of the first bottle I used (was pretty happy go lucky with how much O2 I added into the wort), but I also used it for every starter. I haven't turned the reg so full on when I've used this bottle... marking the reg is a great idea!

Judanero said:
but I also used it for every starter.
How did you find your starters went? Been wondering about this myself. I just asked Kai at Braukaiser whether he's done any experimentation with this.

I've found all my starters too be more active, so they've really been hitting the ground running when pitched. I had all the components to make a stir plate but didn't knock one up before getting the O2, so I can't comment on the difference between using a stir plate and O2 injection. But between manually shaking and O2 injection, the O2 definitely = happier yea stirs IMO.

i know i am lazy and the answer is probably somewhere in this thread, but without me having to read all of it can someone tell me how long you have the O2 bubbling in the wort for (20L batches) ?

1 minute at 1 Litre/minute or if you don't have a flow meter, turned up enough that you can see bubbles but hey don't break the surface (so you don't waste oxygen).

Black n Tan said:
1 minute at 1 Litre/minute or if you don't have a flow meter, turned up enough that you can see bubbles but hey don't break the surface (so you don't waste oxygen).
Thanks B n T.

Just a question hopefully without derailing the thread..........does anyone know how the big breweries take care of the aerating the wort problem?

An in line aerator as wort is transferred to fermenter. Someone could probably explain it better then me

I wonder whether one could run their wort from kettle through one of those wine aerators into the fermenter. Would that help much?

Aeration project1 complete.

Stainless tube $2.50 (70cm) from Geordi Stainless steel around the corner... beer line had 30m spare... john guest fitting & airstone from craft brewer (screwed fittings) and valve for mini O2 tank from Masters about $25. This is a good start easy to sanitise and I prefer using the stainless than tube and the JG fitting and airstone can be easily removed to soak. I also have a small ebay valve control coming to regulate the airflow from the O2 canister (was pretty cheap from china). Note: Aeration stone not connected in this photo...

Bargain...

Next project direct line infusion after wort passes through the chiller....

photo4.JPG

Latest posts

Back