Worst Part Of Keg Cleaning Gone!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Cheap to make and simple to use.

Sick of shaking kegs full of water around and all that crap to rinse after washing them? Well try this!

Step 1 Rinse dregs from keg.

Step 2 Add Napisan or your favourite Percarbonate-based cleaner and hot water to keg.

Step 3 Tip keg up and down a few times.

Step 4 Plug black liquid QD onto out post and watch solution pour outthus cleaning the whole contraption and purging keg of most of its contents at the same time.

Step 5 Remove keg lid.

Step 6 Run black QD under a little water and plug back onto post.

Step 7 Tip keg upside down and sit in laundry sink.

Step 8 Plug tap connection onto tap and turn on said tap.

Step 9 Go have a smoke and return to fully rinsed keg, dip tube and all.

Gee, all those steps make it seem hardbut trust me, its saved a lot of angst and procrastination when it comes time to clean my kegs.

Plus, given the number of times you need to refill and tip out the keg using the swishing rinse method, this probably saves a bit of water too :)

KegRinseDevice.JPG

PZ.

Love it.
Just need more room around my laundry tub to be able to have a keg upside down in it :(

Doc

I generally just rinse the keg. Then fill it with sanitiser, plug it into the system and flush it thru, thereby cleaning my tap at the same time. Then fill it with water and plug it bck into the system, rinses everything. Then pour the next brew in.
Speaking of which, I don't have one at the mo, and the Keg's feeling a little "light" :(

Mika, I've got 12 kegs (not including my dedicated line cleaning keg), so although your method is good, it wouldn't work for me :party:

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B, 12 Kegs ??
You are my new God, I worship no others :)

Well since we are offering tips on keg cleaning, I find it a pain in the arse to flush and drain tubes with QD's on them so I made one of these:

Hose2QD.jpg

A hose click on to liquid QD adapter.

sosman said:
Well since we are offering tips on keg cleaning, I find it a pain in the arse to flush and drain tubes with QD's on them so I made one of these:

Hose2QD.jpg

A hose click on to liquid QD adapter.
[post="120076"][/post]​

Oh, oh, oh!!!! :super:

That's a somewhat better version of what I'm also planning on making...but I have not a lathe :(

Can I buy one from you man? :chug:

PZ.

PZ,
My 8 kegs and I salute you!
Simple and very bloody effective...thanks for that.

TL

Fingerlickin_B said:
Cheap to make and simple to use.

Sick of shaking kegs full of water around and all that crap to rinse after washing them? Well try this!

Cheers Fingerlickin_B....your method is almost too good to be true!!!

To take things a little further......

I wonder how it would go if one fills keg as you mentioned & before the tap connection, attached a "tap hose to keg gas" connection to force the cleaner through the lines (as mentioned by mika lika).

This may save gas, by using water. or :unsure: does everyone do it this way already???

Apologies if this don't make sense...worked far far far too many hours this week (including today) & tonight is catch up as I'm not working tomorrow :p

Sparky said:
I wonder how it would go if one fills keg as you mentioned & before the tap connection, attached a "tap hose to keg gas" connection to force the cleaner through the lines (as mentioned by mika lika).

The expanding hot air (due to using hot water) and oxygen produced by the cleaning agents create pressure in the keg anyway, so no gas is required for that part ;)

I use this method for cleaning my beer lines...fill with cleaner and hot water, shake and connect...force fed cleaning without gas :)

Sosman's hose-to-QD tool is great, as then no gas is required to flush lines either...never waste gas again :chug: He doesn't have time to produce them for us, so stay tuned for a bodgy alternative from me coming soon :super:

PZ.

"fingerlickin b" said:
The expanding hot air (due to using hot water) and oxygen produced by the cleaning agents create pressure in the keg anyway, so no gas is required for that part

I use this method for cleaning my beer lines...fill with cleaner and hot water, shake and connect...force fed cleaning without gas

FB Of Course...Why Not??? so simple!!! FB You are a Legend!

Cheers

F_B, I also have in excess of 12 kegs including two 50 litre kegs with QD's, your method is going to prove very valuable especially for the 50 litre kegs.
Thanks & Cheers :beer:
PS: When you get around to making your version of HOSE-TO-QD tool please PM me.

My bodgy version of the garden hose to liquid QD adaptor:

HoseToLiquidQDAdaptor1.JPG

HoseToLiquidQDAdaptor2.JPG

Like I said, without a lathe I couldn't produce anything like Sosman's nice unit, but this does the trick :chug:

PZ.

Back