Worst Part Of Keg Cleaning Gone!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks F_B, looks easy now once you see the photos, think i will be able to make one of these adaptors. It just goes to show where theres a will theres a way.
Cheers 15BL :beer:

Man you guys go to too much effort. Either that or im too lazy. :lol:

Takes me about 5 mins max to clean a keg.

Just rinse out dregs with garden hose.

Boil kettle & put maybe 1lt boiling water in keg, put lid on & shake.

Fit tap & pour a bit of the hot water through tap to clean dip tube (as FB said the pressure built up from steam will push water through).

Tip the remaining hot water out & rinse again with garden hose.

Spray some oneshot in keg, gas & purge & put away ready for next fill.

Hahaha now after typing that it seems like a longer process than it really is. :p

Step 7 Tip keg upside down and sit in laundry sink.

Stop me if I've had too much of my homebrew, but why do I have to sit in the sink? Can I perhaps sit on the washing machine?

Cheap to make and simple to use.

Sick of shaking kegs full of water around and all that crap to rinse after washing them? Well try this!

Step 1 Rinse dregs from keg.

Step 2 Add Napisan or your favourite Percarbonate-based cleaner and hot water to keg.

Step 3 Tip keg up and down a few times.

Step 4 Plug black liquid QD onto out post and watch solution pour outthus cleaning the whole contraption and purging keg of most of its contents at the same time.

Step 5 Remove keg lid.

Step 6 Run black QD under a little water and plug back onto post.

Step 8 Plug tap connection onto tap and turn on said tap.

Step 9 Go have a smoke and return to fully rinsed keg, dip tube and all.

Gee, all those steps make it seem hardbut trust me, its saved a lot of angst and procrastination when it comes time to clean my kegs.

Plus, given the number of times you need to refill and tip out the keg using the swishing rinse method, this probably saves a bit of water too :)

View attachment 6708

PZ.

Now I feel really slack.... I leave kegs full of gas (from dispensing) until next brew is ready. Open normally just a hose rinse and refill... Or opn the very rare ocassion a 10min sit with some bleach and water, bit of a shake and then rinse. No problems yet...

Stop me if I've had too much of my homebrew, but why do I have to sit in the sink? Can I perhaps sit on the washing machine?

Yep, far too much homebrew dude :ph34r:

Sure, you can sit it on the washing machine if you really want...but it'll make a big mess when you turn the tap on :lol:

PZ.

Whoops! Sorry about that. For some reason I thought Wortgames had started this thread whereas it was Fingerlickin. Anyway, love your cleaning idea Finger and loved your kegging article Wortgames!

Duzzamadda :lol:

Yeah Pat, I read that kegging article too...very detailed and would answer every question a new kegger might have. Great one WG! :super:

PZ.

whats the best way to clean and sanitize the kegs if i dont have any gas available yet.Also is it ok to clean and sanitize, then rack my beer into the keg and just leave it in the fridge till my gas bottle turns up.

then when the gas turns up do the ross method and fire away.

basically is it the same as bulk priming but dont add any sugar.

also how full do i fill them (cornys) just below the lid or just below the gas in dip stick?

ok im just gunna fill with brewers detergent and hot water shake vigoriously then rinse with cold water .Then sanitize then rack from my fermenter as full as i can get but below the gas in tube. put the lid on and leave it for about 2 weeks.

by then my gas bottle should have arrived

sound good or am i gunna dop somethign wrong :)

From my limited knowledge kingy i've always been taught to purge the keg when storing beer. That is put some gas through it (after u have filled it) and then open the relief valve. I Think its cause u dont want air mixing with ur beer, so purging it forces the air out.

Could always just shake the beer a bit then open the relief vavle, i know that creates pressure when i've done that with hot water.

Latest posts

Back