Worst Comerical Beer You Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst I always like to look at the positives there are some beers which need to be avoided. I spent 6 years managing pubs in the western suburbs of Sydney so instantly I would associate bad beer with a bad cellar. But then I have been to some expensive yuppy joints in the city where I have poured my beer into my boot and drank it that way. It adds flavour and aroma.Ok it was late and I had been there a while. Got a few strange looks. It was a Stella so it really did improve in the RM Williams. I had also treated a Draught Grolsh the same way in a pub in Surrey, England. Wasn't allowed back.
I guess my list would be VB it gives me wicked heartburn
Tooheys New - Bloats me
Any beer in a clear bottle !

I guess there are heaps of beers I have disliked but they are still better than bad wine!!
Cheers
Gerard

Oh come on Through Lolly Southwark was a nice bitter, it beats drinking the water
did you ever try Westends Eagle Blue or I Can`t think of it`s name Maybe Eagle Green now they were beers you could give to your relatives.

Regards
Mark

Back in the early 80's there was some beer strike in MElb. Cant remember the year. They were bringing in some West Oz beer. I cant remember the name of it but it sure was foul. All i remember was feeeling sorry for the Western Australians having to drink it. Whatever it was I'm sure the Brewery couldn't have possibly survived.

cheers

Gerard_M said:
Hear, hear. I generally abide by this rule.

One exception - bland but not foul (pardon the pun) - is Old Speckled Hen.

What I find amazing about the clear glass brews is that they are so obviously market tested before they're even brewed! Ice - how could you sell that in brown glass? The brewer is left to work out how to stop hop compounds from skunking - easy remove them all except Alpha Acids. Pure genious! A sweet beer with no redeming hop aroma or flavour. "At least it doesn't smell like a skunk".

*shakes head and goes to post in Gerard's positive thread*

1 VB

2 4XXXX

3 ANYTHING AMERICAN

4 CARLTON COLD

5 KB

6 DA

THANK GOD FOR HOME BREWING :rolleyes:

:chug: :chug: :chug:

PostModern said:
Gerard_M said:
Hear, hear. I generally abide by this rule.

One exception - bland but not foul (pardon the pun) - is Old Speckled Hen.
Ah, but if you haven't tried it as a cask ale then you will realise it isn't normally bland :p

Agree with the clear glass bottles.

Worst commercial beer I have tasted is Fosters, Emu Bitter, and Beez Neez. West End draught would be in there but I would still drink it on a hot summer's day :ph34r: !

C&B
TDA

Anything to do with large flightless indigenous birds, Emu this or that.
Crown lager, (VB without the working class overtones).
And of course can any pom ever forget Double Diamond, the actual reason why so many emigrated.

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
<snipped>
And of course can any pom ever forget Double Diamond, the actual reason why so many emigrated.
Go easy hoops, I haven't been to the UK but sometimes i imagine myself there when i sit at a bar in town drinking this on tap. Not the greatest beer i have had but the faucett this amber fluid comes out of is in a league of its own when theres another 15-20 taps of swill next to it.

My worst ever beer is a aussie light beer which i would expect most others to have said.
The worst of which was the incredibly bad 'west end eagle blue/spew'.
I drink my fair share of swills' that ussualy make up the drink riders at most gigs i do. Eagle blue would be a struggle/choir to get through.

Another bad experience on swill was a pint of carlton draught poured in murray bridge, it was one of the worst beers i have had. Saying that i have had carlton draughts befores that were much better than that pint.

Time to admit too not so long ago being a ignorant piss head, about 7 years ago i was doing the tamworth festival of 'mongalian' music and thought tooheys dry was one of the best beers ever, along side the new.
Jeez it takes a brave brew to admit that was he was once batting for the other side. :blink:

beer! enjoy it, hate it, and love it to death.
Jayse
ps better add a pic so you all know iam not 'as' ignorant as i once was.

fermentors_in_winter018.jpg

Did you add food colouring to a west end draught for that photo Jayse? :D

When I was in Melbourne a few months ago, I came back witha few micro brewery beers. Lets just say they weren't quite up to standard.

TDA mentions the beez neez/ My wife had one of these at the pig and whistle (their own beer) and it was great. But there other places that make a beez neez and these are not so good.

Cheers
Pedro

Worst beers - anything thats too old

i have had some nice fresh carlton draughts when they were fresh but get the same thing that is 4 months older and its is foul. Totally oxidised and tangy :unsure:

too many other megaswills to mention

but i'm sticking up for 4xxxx. Since moving to queensland and living almost next door to the brewery I don't mind it on tap. In bottles it is disgusting.

But one big thing to mention is that what ever the big breweries say- their product is not nearly as consistent as they claim. Every megaswill I beer i have tried and liked was a one off or was only good sometimes. I'm sure you guys know what i mean. Different quality and taste of hops etc.

Take tooheys old- in sydney tasted like watery shit mixed with charcoal. I came to brissy - for 6months they had an awesome run- rich cholcolately and more than a hint of lovely burnt cramel. But they changed the recpie and its back to even more watery than sydney 8 yrs ago with no flavour at all, nothing -not sweet, dry , bitter, its not even refreshing like water!

they screw us even on thhe trusted brands to save a few pennies.

lou

Tallgum said:
...The great beer strike was in Xmas 81, sold every brand of piss you could get your hands on, brands i never knew existed, a truck would just pull up at the bottle shop...
I remember that one - I had my 21st in Melbourne then and my dad (RIP) managed to pull a few strings and get some NSW beer trucked in!

Don't remember much afterwards - but saw lots of embarrasing photos!

TL

SAMEAGAIN said:
Oh come on Through Lolly Southwark was a nice bitter, it beats drinking the water
did you ever try Westends Eagle Blue or I Can`t think of it`s name Maybe Eagle Green now they were beers you could give to your relatives.

Regards
Mark
Sorry Mark,
Southwark is $hite! :p
Tastes like its been strained through a dead leper's sypholitic sock...

Never heard of the other stuff, but I'll try it if you wanna send me a slab :lol:
Cheers,

TL (I'm a slut for beer!)

its not commercial but i was at a pub in tempe and they had 'Outback Lager' on tap so i got a pint of that. It is was the worst beer i have ever tasted. I cannot describe how bad it truely was. How someone can actually go out and try and sell that shite it beyond me. I would happily drink warm flat VB out of a dirty ashtray instead of drinking outback lager any day.

Bobby said:
its not commercial but i was at a pub in tempe and they had 'Outback Lager' on tap so i got a pint of that. It is was the worst beer i have ever tasted. I cannot describe how bad it truely was. How someone can actually go out and try and sell that shite it beyond me. I would happily drink warm flat VB out of a dirty ashtray instead of drinking outback lager any day.
Oh man, that Outback lager must have been really bad.

Cambridge Draught.
On tap only at the Cambridge Hotel on Cambridge Terrace in Wellington NZ.
Probably made worse by the fact I was backing up after a huge night on the cans as the rugby. However the Monteiths I had before it was great.
I think this beer is actually rebranded Lion Brown which explains it anyway.
When I was at the Lion Brewery (Shed 22) in Wellington earlier in the year I was giving the brewer a hard time over the pallet of Chelsea sugar sitting on the brewing floor. He conceeded it was for Lion Brown :huh:

Doc

Trough Lolly said:
Tallgum said:
...The great beer strike was in Xmas 81, sold every brand of piss you could get your hands on, brands i never knew existed, a truck would just pull up at the bottle shop...
I remember that one - I had my 21st in Melbourne then and my dad (RIP) managed to pull a few strings and get some NSW beer trucked in!

Don't remember much afterwards - but saw lots of embarrasing photos!

TL
xmas 81... that's when I was born, give or take a couple days :)

the worst beer i have ever had .... ;) was my first homebrew 7 yrs ago, 17yrs of age, trying to get pissed when we couldn't buy beer, i was alway the guy that would find a solution and HOME BREW would be it. So a mate gave me a tin of very very old Munich lager coppers now this tin was rusty and never having known about the age of beers etc we brewed it to the dot on the instruction so in went the sugar and a tad more for more alc.
wait the 5 days or somthing on the instructions and gas it up and party time

WOW it was bad, and i mean bad bad bad :) never even finished one stubby i just fell to the floor laughing about how bad it was! i kept it for a yr and it got .. "better" but was still the 2nd worst beer ever hehe

Anyway the worst pub beer was and is at a local pub/club where there "CUB draught" is so sour bitter and yuck! i made me spew when i took a mouth full (spew as in hit the back of the throat and flew back out as foam)

....... beers made me sick a few time .. due to drinking WAY to much be it good or bad beer ;)

Bobby said:
Bobby,

That pub is the Harp hotel(formerly known as the Riverview hotel), done up as an Irish pub ATM, just did the service on the extinguishers the other day, And the Outback is STILL on tap....I didnt succumb to the lure of an unknown beer....glad I didnt!!

Maybe it's the quality of commercial South Australian beers which has made Adelaide homebrew central!

Sad thing is, it's not just the blokes at Thebarton that stuff things up for us.

Our revered friends at Coopers turn out a couple of beers that are (IMHO) worse even than west end. Does anyone actually enjoy Coopers Draught or Light? And the new Heritage (their Crown wannabe) is pretty ordinary too.

I don't think the draught or the light capture a very big market... my interpretation of the Heritage Premium was that they tried to brew a beer as 'unassuming' as possible, and rely on the packaging to sell it. After all, how many people do you reckon drink Crown because they think it tastes better than other beers?

Latest posts

Back