Worried I May Just Have Made Many Many Many Bottle Bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron23

Reaction score
Well Its been 14 days now in the primary, TG is stable at 1011 over 3 days.

I just transfered into bottles with priming suger ball things.

The only concern I have is that As I was adding it, I noticed there was still considerable carbonation in the beer. Should I be worried ? I think I may have many bombs waiting to go off.

Is this normal?

There was quite a lot of bubbles when I inverted the bottles.

, On a sidenote, I thought it went smoothely other than 2 broken bottles, and about 14 litres still in the carboy that May have to go down the sink ;(

-I23

Make that three broken bottles.

The rest will have to go down the sink Im afraid. :( Such a sad waste of beer.

On the bright side it makes room for a new exciting brew !!!!!

But yes, Im still rather concerned about the bottle bombs

Well Its been 14 days now in the primary, TG is stable at 1011 over 3 days.

I just transfered into bottles with priming suger ball things.

The only concern I have is that As I was adding it, I noticed there was still considerable carbonation in the beer. Should I be worried ? I think I may have many bombs waiting to go off.

Is this normal?

There was quite a lot of bubbles when I inverted the bottles.

, On a sidenote, I thought it went smoothely other than 2 broken bottles, and about 14 litres still in the carboy that May have to go down the sink ;(

-I23

Bloke it looks like everything should be fine :)
You correctly observed that the final gravity was stable and I assume you added the correct amount of priming sugar. There will always be some level of carbonation of the beer due to the Co2 being given off during fermentation but whilst it certainly contributes to the level of overall carbonation it shoulden't lead to overcarbonation/ bottle bombs :)
14 litres is a lot to tip :-( Perhaps consider getting some soft drink bottles or something quick and easy, you might even want to look at bulk priming if you do end up using odd sized containers :)
Cheers
Doug

I agree with the Doogiechap, your technique is good and your FG was where it should be but most of all it was stable for three days.

Hope you didn't end up ditching your brew, over carbing normally doesn't happen overnight it will develop over several days unless of course your beer is fermenting out:( which yours wasn't.

good luck with you future brews

Sounds like you followed the right steps, and providing you put in the correct amount of drops (1 per stubby) things should be fine. Occasionally I get a bit of carbonation when I'm bottling but there's usually no problem. (had 4-5 bottle bombs go off over hte past 5 years total).
If you're really worried about things you could keep the bottles covered with a blast shield (eg, blanket). Or you could uncap them to let some gas escape then recap, but you'd be risking flat beer.

The Horror!!!!

Having bottled last night I still have 12L left in the carboy, Which is now at about 29C I imagine, I was just siting down and I heard what I thought was a bubble from the airlock.

Is it possible there is still some fermentation going on or is it more likely A wild yeast introduced into the fermenter during bottling.

The Horror!!!!

Having bottled last night I still have 12L left in the carboy, Which is now at about 29C I imagine, I was just siting down and I heard what I thought was a bubble from the airlock.

Is it possible there is still some fermentation going on or is it more likely A wild yeast introduced into the fermenter during bottling.

All good bloke, the same residual carbonation that I talked about in your beer is now slowly being released via the airlock. Have a good day :)

Thank goodness, Ive heard it go off a few times now and thought maybe fermentation was simply stalled at the 18C I was using

I heard what I thought was a bubble from the airlock.
I'm sure your beers will be fine. There will always be some carbonation in your fermented beer, the lower the temperature of fermentation - the more CO2 will remain in solution. When you bottle you will be releasing some CO2 through the unavoidable agitation and any increase in temperature. I don't think you have anything at all to worry about regarding bombs...relax :drinks:

Some good posts above for you Iron.

Keep in mind CO2 will continue to come out of solution (in thei case beer) until it reaches equilibrium with its adjacent atmosphere.

Beersmith (and other similar software) has a function also that allows you to enter the maximum temperature the beer was at during ferment (as this temperature effects your priming rate too), and will let you know the corresponding priming sugar rates for carbonation.

Most bottles can take up to 3 volumes no worries - I have recently bottled my belgian tripel to a high carbonation in various bottles and they are stable.

Good Advice.

I think Im going to pour out the remaining 12L and give it a cleaning, Before it drives me insane.

As for bottle conditioning. I left them in the fridge last night and didnt set the timer correctly, they would have been at about 13C

Should I try keep them at 20C for a few days then chill to about 3C for weeks ?

The small amount of priming sugar will impart no off flavours from fermenting at ambient temperatures. I'd leave all your bottles out of the fridge for 2 weeks then chill for serving. Having them at a lower temp will only effect the time it takes for your beer to carbonate and I assume you want to be drinking these sooner rather than later.
Finally why do you want to pour out the remaining 12 litres? I'd be bottling the remaining beer...who know's it could be your best brew yet!

I ran out of bottles, Im walking away with just under 40 from this.

But I imagine it will be an experiment more than something I will be wanting for more of.

It will make room for me to start on an exciting new beer (Something darker)

Finally why do you want to pour out the remaining 12 litres? I'd be bottling the remaining beer...who know's it could be your best brew yet!
yeah, why do you think it's off? Have you tasted it?

I dont think its off in the slightest. I simply dont have enough bottles to put it all in, I Bought a case and many a six pack to help get enough bottles but Still didnt have enough.

Its coming up to 34C on my thermometer and climbing, Is this not too high for bottle conditioning ?

As for bottle conditioning. I left them in the fridge last night and didnt set the timer correctly, they would have been at about 13C

Should I try keep them at 20C for a few days then chill to about 3C for weeks ?

You should keep them at about 18-20 for at least 2 weeks to carbonate. 13C should be ok also but will need extra time. 3C won't carbonate as your yeast will have gone to sleep at that temp.

Mate, just get some plastic bottles and put the rest in it, it wouldn't cost much.

and 12-14L is a big bloody waste!

Mate, just get some plastic bottles and put the rest in it, it wouldn't cost much.

and 12-14L is a big bloody waste!
2L coke bottles will do fine. Geez, a big pasta sauce jar at the least. You can serve it to your mates and call it moonshine... I wouldn't go carbing that one though, dunno about the pressure strength of jars.

Or if you can move it into a cooler spot in your house, it should be okay for a few more weeks till you've got bottles.
Agreed 12-14L of perfectly fine beer down the drain is plain stupid IMHO.

I think Im going to pour out the remaining 12L and give it a cleaning, Before it drives me insane.

That sentence makes even baby Jesus cry! :eek: Are you out of your mind! Certainly just get some plastic bottles.

Or as you've got some residual carbonation now, throw the whole fermenter in the fridge and start serving yourself 1L Steins.

Back