Working out cell numbers. Help needed.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobjF

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Ive been harvesting yeast and cleaning samples for later use for a while now and have been quite happy with my system and method. But as im now doing AG batches and have slowly been pushing my Rig (3v keg conversion) to bigger volumes im now starting to look at my starters with a little more consern.
As of yet i have no problems fermenting out my beers to the target SG but I have a few questions regarding the amount of slurry I begin my starter with.
Using wolfies method of yeast harvesting im getting 5mm roughly of yeast slurry in the bottom of a baby food jar as my stored sample ready to make a starter out of. Ive been using these in 1L 100g ldme starter on a stirplate to reproduce my Kolsch and Ale yeast with not problems batching beer volumes of 30l and have just done one at 35l with a 1056 with good results.
But as I start to make starters for my slurry for bigger batches and lagers how do I know how much slurry I need to start with to be able to work out what my final cell count will be with a 1L, 2L, 4L starters so I can make sure I finish the starter with the correct amount of viable cells.
Thanks Rob

You could try counting them with a microscope, but I find My Malty is a much better use of my time

Latest posts

Back