Work Wanted, Brewery/brewpub.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiesu

Reaction score
Howdy,
Not entirely sure if this is the best place to ask but worth a shot.

Basically I am fairly new to the homebrew world but I am very interested in the whole brewing process (not to mention the results :) )
and also fortunate/unfortunate enough to be self employed in a completely unrelated industry (film and TV)As it turns out their is not alot
of work flowing at the moment and the time has come to look for a secondary income to help pay for my homebrew hobby and all those wonderful
bills that keep filling my inbox. I have no desire to work in a supermarket (again) and am not qualified to do alot of other work so I thought why not
get some part time/casual work doing something I am passionate about and can learn from, HAZAH! brewing!
I have a few initial questions but I'm interested to hear what others think about working in a brewery/brewpub. Firstly, is there
any brew pub owners floating around that need some extra hands on deck occasionally? if not then what do you think is the best approach to
doing a bit of this work in this industry? Do you own a brew pub? Do you need experienced and well trained guys to assist the brewmaster? Is
it possible to get on the job training in this line of work? What makes a good brew assistant? Have you done (or are you doing) this type of work at the
moment? Do you like it?.

I am intrigued to learn more about it, I await your replies.

Cheers

Jake from Sydney.

i dont want to burst your bubble but unless you know somone in the industry, i'd think you would struggle to get voluntary work let alone a paid position. Who knows, you might get lucky!

You think TV is a tough industry to break into! Welcome to Pro brewing!!

Without being discouraging, you've got to knock on doors and ask a lot.
If you're happy to work for nix you should get a bit of a look in, kind of defeats your purpose though.
Start reading and learn a lot about beer and brewing and you may be in with a shot.
Set up an ag system and make lots of good beer. Take some of it along with you and that should help too.

You think TV is a tough industry to break into! Welcome to Pro brewing!!
+1

thats why we all 'hang around' AHB. we pretent its a brewery and that we all work here cause thats what we really want to do for a crust

Not so fast fellas.

Here's one right on this link (unfortunately wrong state) :( :
Trainee Brewer

Jobs for apprentices and those starting out do come up from time to time in the industry, you just have to watch out for 'em. Admittedly having done a course in Brewing Science would go a long way to getting you into the career of your dreams, so don't rule that out. This one says 'tertiary education' so a person with a brewing science degree would have the edge.

In Vic there's been recent stuff going for someone to help out at a brewery in Healesville on weekends - just basic stuff like hauling grain and driving, and Grain & Grape needed a couple of people to assist with making fresh wort kits. There is stuff around.

Check back on this link regularly and something that suits might pop up:
Brewing Jobs Microbrewing Australia

Also think about the places in your state you'd like to approach. Another source is a list of micros around can be found here: Microbreweries The list is a little dated in parts so check that some of those in your state still exist before driving out!

You will also find that a lot of craft breweries have 'open door' days where you can help out or view the process. I know for example here in Vic that Red Hill Brewing do it and this gives you great access to the people behind the beer. These sorts of days are a good way to get chatting with those that could help you out with a job.

Good luck, :icon_cheers:

Hopper.

In Vic there's been recent stuff going for someone to help out at a brewery in Healesville on weekends - just basic stuff like hauling grain and driving, and

Hopper.

Thats the kinda stuff I'm after just some casual work that will pay me ok and be around some interesting people. Thanks for your help.

It sounds all doomy and gloomy and exactly the same story as the film industry. I have to re state though that
I'm not trying to quit the film industry and turn into full time brew master (or the path to at least) I have alleady chosen one conveluded and painfully small strugling industry I think trying to pursue two would be suicide. As you say their is enough people around the works here that are trying to get into this line of work.

I'm just after a casual assistant sort of position, It doesn't have to be creating the brews and running the machinery and what not. I'm happy to do delivery stuff and help with sanatizing measuring out ingredients and lifting sacks of malt. I guess the Dishwasher of the brewing world so to speak. It would be nice however If I got to try the brew however ;)
Maybe I will send off a couple of emails later through that list you passed on.

Thanks for your help hoppingmad.

i dont want to burst your bubble but unless you know somone in the industry, i'd think you would struggle to get voluntary work let alone a paid position. Who knows, you might get lucky!

You won't have a chance in hell of getting paid, unless you volunteer and prove your self first.

You won't have a chance in hell of getting paid, unless you volunteer and prove your self first.

While I have no doubt that the brewing business is tough for both employees and owners, I have a serious problem with this idea. If a brewery cannot afford to operate while paying everyone who does work for it, it shouldn't be in business. The idea that someone should have to volunteer to prove themselves is ridiculous as is any situation where someone does unpaid work for a for-profit entity (whether a brewery, a pub or a supermarket).

While I have no doubt that the brewing business is tough for both employees and owners, I have a serious problem with this idea. If a brewery cannot afford to operate while paying everyone who does work for it, it shouldn't be in business. The idea that someone should have to volunteer to prove themselves is ridiculous as is any situation where someone does unpaid work for a for-profit entity (whether a brewery, a pub or a supermarket).

It's just supply and demand. If there are enough people eager enough to work for free why bother paying someone?

Thanks for your help hoppingmad.

No problemo. :icon_chickcheers:

And try to remember the little people like us on AHB when you hit the big time.

Despite all the shitcanning that goes on here, we're all dreaming the same dream whether it's a better beer or the whole brewery.

A good tip is to watch out for new startup breweries, often they're the ones looking for assistance
and can't afford to pay big bucks for a fully qualified person.

You get in on the ground floor, do the crap for a while, then switch and trade up.

All the best,

Hopper.

I kind of agree but at some point passion takes over business acumen, and it is a longer term proposition in some cases. So the business model may need volume and this takes a few years so while the business is in start up mode the margins are very skinny.

Do artists paint because they will be rich when they die...no...they do it cause they love it.

If you do the numbers on most breweries, even the most optimistic forecasts give you marginal returns.

Also you will find that big attratcive brand name companies usually pay LESS than others because people WANT to work there, it is competitive. So yes it is supply and demand totally.

Without being discouraging, you've got to knock on doors and ask a lot.
If you're happy to work for nix you should get a bit of a look in, kind of defeats your purpose though.
Start reading and learn a lot about beer and brewing and you may be in with a shot.
Set up an ag system and make lots of good beer. Take some of it along with you and that should help too.

Alternatively you can find a girl who's dad owns a brewery and has big ...

Although I do agree with you 100% and am usually the one blowing that trumpet. Being from a film background, It is virtually Impossible to get your name in the ring any other way. While I can't speak with any experience on the brewing front I know for a fact that within the film industry you need to be able to present either some form of showreel ( for heads of department ie, Art directors, Directors, Camera Operators ect.) Which you can't get without doing work and when you are fresh faced No one is going to give you the $$ to produce something so you need to volunteer your skills to give yourself some credibility and contribute things to that showreel (kindof like your own homebrew and a head brewers position). If you are doing a more "menial" (for lack of a better word) work like Assistant director or ass. camera, prop buyer, set dresser etc etc. You need to introduce yourself to the people who are going to be hiring you,
By that I don't mean How you going bud you want to meet up for coffee?
I mean Bust your guts on set for free. People will allways have their little "click" groups where by 1 or 2 people are the only people who get hired for the jobs (being a freelance based industry of course) You need to be able to break into that somehow, I think in general though people in the film world tend to be quite understanding of that fact and if you do work your ass off for free for them on a job and you do a good job, you will find that you get a bit of paid work out of that as well.

Its a tough old life but if It was easy to get into then I'm sure the jobs would lose alot of their appeal and also would no doubt pay alot less.

Although I do agree with you 100% and am usually the one blowing that trumpet. Being from a film background, It is virtually Impossible to get your name in the ring any other way. While I can't speak with any experience on the brewing front I know for a fact that within the film industry you need to be able to present either some form of showreel ( for heads of department ie, Art directors, Directors, Camera Operators ect.) Which you can't get without doing work and when you are fresh faced No one is going to give you the $$ to produce something so you need to volunteer your skills to give yourself some credibility and contribute things to that showreel (kindof like your own homebrew and a head brewers position). If you are doing a more "menial" (for lack of a better word) work like Assistant director or ass. camera, prop buyer, set dresser etc etc. You need to introduce yourself to the people who are going to be hiring you,
By that I don't mean How you going bud you want to meet up for coffee?
I mean Bust your guts on set for free. People will allways have their little "click" groups where by 1 or 2 people are the only people who get hired for the jobs (being a freelance based industry of course) You need to be able to break into that somehow, I think in general though people in the film world tend to be quite understanding of that fact and if you do work your ass off for free for them on a job and you do a good job, you will find that you get a bit of paid work out of that as well.

Its a tough old life but if It was easy to get into then I'm sure the jobs would lose alot of their appeal and also would no doubt pay alot less.

Why not combine your passions and do a doco or series on craft brewers and or home brewers........fair few shy types on this forum may offer their services.........or do promo youtube clips for breweries or bars.

Just a thought. I watched Oz and James on SBS last night and thought ..how bloody good would it be to travel the world and make a TV show based on something you love.....

Why not combine your passions and do a doco or series on craft brewers and or home brewers........fair few shy types on this forum may offer their services.........or do promo youtube clips for breweries or bars.

Just a thought. I watched Oz and James on SBS last night and thought ..how bloody good would it be to travel the world and make a TV show based on something you love.....

Thats a fantastic Idea but unfortunatly the process of film making is terribly expensive and I am not sensational at raising the business and funding (Hence the thread) However if someone has the funds for a little corporate give me a bell :) I would love to help promote your brewery, Interestingly enough my strengths lie in cinematograhy the combination of creativity and science, kinda like Brewing! I knew their was a reason I liked it so much.

*I sent off a bunch of short emails to get a feel for the situation we will see what happens.

Thats a fantastic Idea but unfortunatly the process of film making is terribly expensive and I am not sensational at raising the business and funding (Hence the thread) However if someone has the funds for a little corporate give me a bell :) I would love to help promote your brewery, Interestingly enough my strengths lie in cinematograhy the combination of creativity and science, kinda like Brewing! I knew their was a reason I liked it so much.

*I sent off a bunch of short emails to get a feel for the situation we will see what happens.

I thought you could just shoot it on your mobile phone...............just kidding, I know there is a lot more to it......

I emailed a few breweries around me and got a volunteer day no worries, you just go to show you are keen and want to learn....most people love the fact they can help teach someone their craft.

I kind of agree but at some point passion takes over business acumen, and it is a longer term proposition in some cases. So the business model may need volume and this takes a few years so while the business is in start up mode the margins are very skinny.

Do artists paint because they will be rich when they die...no...they do it cause they love it.

If you do the numbers on most breweries, even the most optimistic forecasts give you marginal returns.

Also you will find that big attratcive brand name companies usually pay LESS than others because people WANT to work there, it is competitive. So yes it is supply and demand totally.

I understand all of that. In terms of the artist comparison, I see that as different as it is self-employment for all intents and purposes. In terms of the argument that there are enough people who are willing to do it for free/next to nothing, my view is that such conditions shouldn't justify the use of volunteer labour in a profit making venture. That is why we have minimum wages, to prevent employers from taking advantage of employees in such ways.

I think that some things are slightly different, for example Red Hill's hop picking day is a touch different in that they are providing food and it is a one-off type event as opposed to using free labour day in and day out. In any case, it is about the entrepreneur being the person who should take the entrepreneurial risk. The only people who shouldn't be taking a wage are the owners as their rewards should come in the form of dividends when/if they make their business successful.

I love free markets and capitalism as much as the next person but I don't think that our economic system should support business that take advantage of those with a passion just because they can, and that is what is happening is a brewery expects a budding brewer to work for free.

I'm not a religious capitalist by any means, but if there's heaps of people throwing themselves at breweries to work for free then they're not exactly being exploited are they?

IMO all forms of work are mutual exploitation.

Back