Woolworths to exit Masters hardware venture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Woolies announcement also includes the sale of Home Timber and Hardware to Metcash (owners of Mitre 10) so that will create a new mega retailer. Bunnings won't have it all their own way.

I got blasted on facebook last night for saying I bought a ute at the right time to cash in on these sales :/
Yep, totally my fault Woolies made shitty business decisions and now will be firing thousands of poor workers
I'll just put my chronic depression and anxiety aside to worry about people who will be in the same position I was in a few months ago...

sp0rk said:
I got blasted on facebook last night for saying I bought a ute at the right time to cash in on these sales :/
Yep, totally my fault Woolies made shitty business decisions and now will be firing thousands of poor workers
I'll just put my chronic depression and anxiety aside to worry about people who will be in the same position I was in a few months ago...
The vitriol about job losses is overblown. The announcement also mentions that all the Masters sites have been sold to another group that owns Spotlight, Chemist Warehouse and a few other home improvement type businesses I can't recall. Basically they're going to redevelop the sites to multi retailer centers that will house those businesses.

At the end of the day, majority of Masters employees are retail staff, there'll be jobs going in these new retailers moving into those sites.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Bunnings will acquire some of the sites as well and set up there. So they probably get first dibs on a new bunnings job.
Interestingly, Bunnings don't actually own the majority of their sites. Most are owned by a property trust called BWP who rent them back to Bunnings on long term leases. The remainder are owned by cashed up private investors.

Fraser's BRB said:
Interestingly, Bunnings don't actually own the majority of their sites. Most are owned by a property trust called BWP who rent them back to Bunnings on long term leases. The remainder are owned by cashed up private investors.
I think the quote was oversimplifying the story, but in essence it's still true. BWP (Bunnings Warehouse Properties) lease back to Wesfarmers, I work in accounting and I vaguely remember the spin off. A bit like SCA being spun off woolies - it seems to be the thing to have the properties owned by a separate demerger type entity now. I think they're trying to mimic Westfield/Scentre.

Either way, Bunnings have said they'll set up extra stores and 'move' stores to the other sites. That would indicate to me that the real estate and location isn't a problem.

I'll be interested to see how Home Timber and Hardware/Mitre 10 being joined up under Metcash and the majority of sites being run in the IGA way works. It'll either be excellent because the distribution channel will be big enough (or close to) to rival Wesfarmers' hardware, combined with the flexibility of independent operation; or awful because you'll end up with a Nando's type scenario.

A.B. said:
Bird scare owls don't work, same birds I was trying to get off my deck were sitting next to the owls the next day, still twittering away happily pooing on the deck.
Feel free to print this off, take it to Masters and place it next to their scare owl display.

00005b44_big.jpg

Me too.

I think we're all getting lazy in our shopping habits. It's like "I don't want to think of where to buy something, so I'll keep going to the one shop". I know of people who have never been to Aldi (not WA/SA/Tas people). It's been here for almost 10 years.

Monopolies (and occasionally duopolies) form everywhere and the small guy gets not a jot:

Bunnings (sometimes Masters)
Spotlight (sometimes lincraft)
Coles and Woolies (Sometimes ALDI).
Kathmandu
and so on.

O know people who dont go to Aldi because they think everything is imported and they dont like the brand names casue they are not the same as Colesworth

If people ask me "have you ever been to Aldis" (because Coles and Woolies have an s on the end, so does aldi), I'll answer.

And when people say that to me I show them a jar of Vegemite and tell them I bought it from Aldi.

Then I tell them that Haribo isn't an in house brand, and if Aldi hadn't bought it in, they wouldn't buy it from Colesworth.

I don't bother with people who choose to be deliberately ignorant. I only have one lifetime.

The only thing I hate a about Aldi is Wed 7 Sat morning when you have to fight thru the Zombie's waiting at the door for them to open for the bargains

Most of them look like Bribe.... B)

Ducatiboy stu said:
O know people who dont go to Aldi because they think everything is imported and they dont like the brand names casue they are not the same as Colesworth
What puts me off is one check out person on the job whilst the queue stretches to the rear of the store.

But the lure of the sometimes bizarre assortment of items on those tables in the middle and 75 thousand different biscuit varieties keeps me coming back.

why the feck would i go there

shit

Ducatiboy stu said:
and don't forget the shit service (que to the fuckin back of the store cause their too tight to have another checkout, no one to help lift if items are heavy or mrs is pregnant, better things to do in life!!!)

can't even get out of our local if it's busy, have to wait until check out is clear as there is no room to get past

will never go back there again

edit: in doors are one way, couldn't get out, would hate to see if the joint caught on fire

At least they dont have those stupid self serve checkouts that are always poping up with voice prompts and you have to keep hitting yes all the bloody time

Latest posts

Back