Woolworths Canning The Cans?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that the bigger outlets for the supermarkets - Big W and Target for example- will continue to sell kit gear.

Cannot say I have ever seen HB in Target though never actually looked. Took me a while to find it in our Big W tucked away with kitchen utensils.

Cannot say I have ever seen HB in Target though never actually looked. Took me a while to find it in our Big W tucked away with kitchen utensils.

can't say I have looked either - I was just trying to think of the Coles equivalent to Woolies Big W

can't say I have looked either - I was just trying to think of the Coles equivalent to Woolies Big W
K MArt. My local Kmart (owned by Coles) used to have some cans and Brigalow bits and bobs, haven't looked recently so don't know if its still stocked.

Most of the K-Marts in SA seem to have followed Coles and got rid of all their homebrew gear. Some of the bigger Foodlands in SA have a decent range, buts it a bit hit & miss with the smaller ones

HB supplies all still available in the usual supermarkets (Woolworths, Big W, Coles, K-Mart) here . . . .even no name IGA brand!

Big W and K-Mart have the new DYI Coopers kits for sale as well.

Wll keep an eye on it for you

Cheers
Bruce

My local Kmart still have them or I should say have re-stocked them.....for a while they had hardly any and yesterday I bought a can, caps & carb drops and they also have BE1 & 2 quite a good stock at the moment so I hope they keep doing so.....handier for me as its local and LHBS is a longer drive and more expensive all up. :)

Well if thet don't sell K&K at their supermarkets then their customers will have to go to their bottleshops and pubs and buy their pre made megaswill at inflated profit margins. As it was told to me when I first started brewing only 10% of can buyers ever walk into a LHBS the other 90% buy off the supermarket shelf. The Duopoly aren't threatened by LHBS because the Duopoly has outlet everywhere and convinence will outweigh cost nearly 75% of the time.

My thoughts exactly as I wandered down the aisle at my local Safeway... five cans of various brands left and confirmation from one of the shelf fillers that the product lines had been deleted. At the other end of the same aisle you can walk straight into Safeway Liquor.

I thought Coles were bastards when they tried it six months ago.

The thin edge of the wedge? Sounds a lot like collusion and anti-competitive behaviour, which is illegal, but will the 'paper tiger' ACCC do anything about it?

Stand up home brewers! You gotta fight for your right to party!!!

Sounds.... illegal

Not sure supermarkets have any legal requirements to stock certain items. If they are getting rid of them it's probably because of poor sales. I doubt they are afraid that they are afraid of the potentially negative impact hb products might have on their liquor shops.

Annoying yes, illegal probably not!

Not sure supermarkets have any legal requirements to stock certain items. If they are getting rid of them it's probably because of poor sales. I doubt they are afraid that they are afraid of the potentially negative impact hb products might have on their liquor shops.

Annoying yes, illegal probably not!

I used to buy more than my quota to keep the stuff on the shelves. Obviously I was the only one.

The staff might quote 'poor sales' but you don't have to mention what product was selling poorly... especially now that the 'Big Two' are introducing their own generic brand liquor into their branded liquor stores.....

You people are just a little bit gullible.

Further more, the ACCC is a taxpayer funded government authority which is meant to stop the battler being consumed by big business and to increase competition in the marketplace.

As a taxpayer, I expect them to do their job. As I have subcontracted the management of this country to the government, as their employer I expect them to do their job.

When I got back into brewing after a hiatus about 12 months ago Beerbelly were only stocking the premium coopers cans that coles didn't have. Amanda said that it was because they could get them cheaper from coles than they could from coopers so they didn't bother. It was a hassle for me because I'll avoid the supermarket wherever possible. Beerbelly now have the full range I think (I haven't brewed a kit for over 6 months so didn't look too hard). I see this as a good thing if it gets people shopping at an independent business rather than coles or woolies.

I used to buy more than my quota to keep the stuff on the shelves. Obviously I was the only one.

The staff might quote 'poor sales' but you don't have to mention what product was selling poorly... especially now that the 'Big Two' are introducing their own generic brand liquor into their branded liquor stores.....

You people are just a little bit gullible.

I don't think discontinuing homebrew supplies is going to increase sales of woolies and coles booze, people will just shop elsewhere. BigW still has a good selection for about the same (or even better) price than woolies and coles had.

Those cans of goo take up a lot of shelf space and for a supermarket every inch of shelf space has to be worth its length in gold.

Further more, the ACCC is a taxpayer funded government authority which is meant to stop the battler being consumed by big business and to increase competition in the marketplace.

As a taxpayer, I expect them to do their job. As I have subcontracted the management of this country to the government, as their employer I expect them to do their job.

you expect the government to do their job but you call us gullible! :p

I don't think discontinuing homebrew supplies is going to increase sales of woolies and coles booze, people will just shop elsewhere. BigW still has a good selection for about the same (or even better) price than woolies and coles had.

Those cans of goo take up a lot of shelf space and for a supermarket every inch of shelf space has to be worth its length in gold.

I am all for supporting the LHBS but in my case its a half day round trip. It was kind of handy to be able to buy cans and bits and bobs from a local Supermarket. ( Our Big W is also the other end of town so pretty inconvenient to get to.)

For a long time now, the Coopers distribution agent has "awarded" territories to the various LHBS. For example there is already a LHBS in the bayside area in Bris and thus Coopers' sales agent won't supply to Ross at Capalaba - not that he would want to stock tins but some of the bits n pieces might be of use to him.

I believe that in the Pine Rivers area a LHBS went out of business recently because Coopers stopped supplying him. If the duopoly are no longer going to stock Coopers then I wonder what Coopers will do about falling sales? Open up their product to other outlets?

For a long time now, the Coopers distribution agent has "awarded" territories to the various LHBS. For example there is already a LHBS in the bayside area in Bris and thus Coopers' sales agent won't supply to Ross at Capalaba - not that he would want to stock tins but some of the bits n pieces might be of use to him.

I believe that in the Pine Rivers area a LHBS went out of business recently because Coopers stopped supplying him. If the duopoly are no longer going to stock Coopers then I wonder what Coopers will do about falling sales? Open up their product to other outlets?

That is just plain DUMB bussines !
Why would you want only one shop in an area to supply your goods ?
If I was with Coopers sales, I'd have my stock in every possible store.

its amazing up until now every COLES/WOOLWORTHS had home brew supplies,but the Local LHBS couldn't..is there a restricive trade practice going on..

its amazing up until now every COLES/WOOLWORTHS had home brew supplies,but the Local LHBS couldn't..is there a restricive trade practice going on..
Steve , the local coles near me had some of the same goo cans that Grain & Gtape had...not that it would worry John as he has an entirely different market..and not that i bought them either , being a grain brewer ...i reckon the only restrictive thing was ,they were on the top shelf...no good for short brewers rofl

ferg it does happen,read the posts above,or is it because of morgan's brewing in queensland

One of our LHBS has the Coopers premium range (ie Sparkling/IPA/Heritage) for cheaper ($10.75 each) than Big W et al sell their basic cans .

All have around 18 month best before dates as well.

That's where I shop

Cheers

Latest posts

Back