Wooden bottle crates - DIY

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
I don't typically bottle my beer, being a keg person. But, for competitions I am starting to brew some beers that need some age or are strong enough that I don't want them on tap or taking up a keg.

Flyinhi was good enough to donate me a heap of bottles, but then I had the problem of storage. So I made these suckers using 2100mmx100mmx12mm treated pine fence palings from Bunnings, with some polyurethane glue and some screws.

Four crates cost just over $30 with enough glue/screws for probably another four crates.

I'll add a follow up post with measurements and how to if people are interested.

IMG_20151202_1512311.jpgIMG_20151202_1512381.jpgIMG_20151202_1513181.jpgIMG_20151202_1513221.jpg

It would look extra cool with some lettering or a logo branded onto the crate, Probly going a bit far though:)

Made some crates to organise/store my 500ml swing-tops a while back -- similar design to yours, but mine used a few more palings (which I have since decided was a little excessive as it makes them a bit too heavy). Cut the vertical parts for the corners to the same height as the finished crate, but attached them 10mm below the top lip to both keep the bottoms off the ground, and to allow them to interlock when stacked.

Don't have a picture of the actual crates since I'm at work, but here's a 3D mock-up that should give a general idea:

me6v2ut.png

fraser_john said:
I don't typically bottle my beer, being a keg person. But, for competitions I am starting to brew some beers that need some age or are strong enough that I don't want them on tap or taking up a keg.

Flyinhi was good enough to donate me a heap of bottles, but then I had the problem of storage. So I made these suckers using 2100mmx100mmx12mm treated pine fence palings from Bunnings, with some polyurethane glue and some screws.

Four crates cost just over $30 with enough glue/screws for probably another four crates.

I'll add a follow up post with measurements and how to if people are interested.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20151202_1512311.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20151202_1512381.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20151202_1513181.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20151202_1513221.jpg
If you flipped the end panels the other way around so the horizontal boards are on the outside it would be easier to lift as you could get your fingers under the top board for a good grip.

Or even cut handle holes in the top horizontal end boards for a fancy look.

..My wife would like one of these, she could watch 'Magic Mike' when we're having a root.
image.jpeg
Just in time for X-mas

For One Crate
4 x Long side panels 380mmx100mm
4 x Short side panels 246mmx100mm
4 x Upright panels 287mmx100mm
2 x Floor panels 354mmx100mm
Process
Cut all pieces of timber from 2100mmx100mmx12mm fence palings, 10 palings makes four crates.
Glue & screw upright panels to short side panels, leaving 12mm at bottom for floor panels.
Glue & staple floor panels in.
Glue and staple long side panels on.

S.E said:
If you flipped the end panels the other way around so the horizontal boards are on the outside <snip>
You could do that, but it would mean the middle row of bottles would have lee-way to smack around, having the end panels on the inside makes it so that no bottles can move.

You can get three fingers in the end gap for moving and it is not an issue.

fraser_john said:
You could do that, but it would mean the middle row of bottles would have lee-way to smack around, having the end panels on the inside makes it so that no bottles can move.

You can get three fingers in the end gap for moving and it is not an issue.
Good point, the bottles would move about. It didn’t look from the pictures that the gap was wide enough to even get three fingers in so it was just a suggestion to make it more comfortable to carry a full crate.

You could leave the ends as they are but rip the vertical end boards down so they are half as wide then you could get four fingers in comfortably.
Or flip the ends and just add another board in the middle to fill the gap and stop the bottles moving though.

Obviously you don’t need handles to lift a small bottle crate but I do think handles would be more aesthetically pleasing like on WEAL crate above.

Rope handles would look really good and authentic on your crate as it is. Just drill holes in the ends thread it through and knot it on the inside. Or better still thread it from the inside and splice it on the outside of the crate to form a thicker spliced handle. :)

These look awesome.

For people without the skills or the time or inclination, I love my collection of 500ml hacker pschoor bottles in plastic crates.

And standard 330ml bottles fit really well in milk crates (and the crates stack well) you can get them from people in plastic for a good price(particularly if you get together with dome friends and buy 20 - from memory around $13 a crate.)

Latest posts

Back