Wonton Soup Restaurant Quality

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
What we BIABers do while waiting for the mash to do its thing. :icon_cheers: SWMBO is half Chinese and being the chef of the family I have had to HTFU and get up to speed with cooking that the rellies approve of :rolleyes:

Preparation of Restaurant Quality Wonton Soup

A hearty meal in itself but often presented as an entree.

One slab of wonton wrappers from your local Asian grocer for less than $2. Don't need to be frozen, they are a pack of about 50 leaves of dough dressed with cornflour so they peel apart one after the other.

250 to 300g pork and veal mince - Woolies
Chop two shallotts, and something to give texture like half a grated zucchini, small tin of water chestnuts grated etc.
two tsps hoisin sauce
a shake of sesame oil
salt, pepper, some dried chives maybe

squish up with hands to a paste and set aside.

wontonstartSmall.jpg

For each batch, peel off as many wrappers as you can arrange on your board

wontonlayoutSmall.jpg

Put a little ball of mix in each corner, then using a pastry brush, water brush the 'far' sides of each strip in long strokes

wontonlayoutballsSmall.jpg

Fold neatly and press down the edges into triangles. For an entree serve allow 6 per person, for a main allow 15 per person.

wontontrianglesSmall.jpg

Several additional folds are traditional, I use the "crown hat" fold.

wontoncrownsSmall.jpg

Set aside and repeat until the desired quantity. Being a 'pasta' variety they can just sit there on a big plate and even if they start to dry they will be reconstituted immediately on boiling.

Cooking

You will need two big pans. In the first bring about three litres of water to a boil. In the second make up a soup with some Campbells real chicken stock, size of the stock pack depending on size of servings. Soup can be very basic, I use a few shakes of sesame oil and a spoonful of grated ginger. . Boil wontons in batches of 10 in a good quantity of water in the first pan, the wontons will do cartwheels for a few minutes, then after 3 mins transfer to the soup pan which should be on a very low simmer.

wontonboilSmall.jpg

Continue transferring till all the wontons are cooked.

wontontransferSmall.jpg

Wonton soup with a side of steamed Lup Cheong (Chinese dried sweet pork sausage) The ultimate comfort food.

wontonserveSmall.jpg

wonton_start__Small_.jpg

wonton_layout__Small_.jpg

Thank you so much......... I've been trying to make good wonton soup for ages but can never get it right. I will give this a go.

Looking good Bribie!

I recently did a big batch myself and have them frozen ready to go at a moments notice. ended up doing around 80 IIRC

500g pork mince
250g prawn (minced by hand)
3 garlic cloves minced on a microplane
1 tin of water chestnuts, diced fine.
splash of sesame oil
splash of soy
splash of rice wine
tbsp corn flour (use potato flour of you can)
salt (yes salt, so you dont make it too wet with soy)
white pepper

Same process as bribies and equally as delicious with added prawn flavour! :icon_cheers:

quick question re freezing them:

Do you freeze prior to cooking them or cook, then freeze them?

Cheers SJ

Thanks Bribie. Good thread. We eat them now from woolies etc and then but they're allways pretty crappy just done in the microwave. Will give this a go for sure.
Cheers
Steve

quick question re freezing them:

Do you freeze prior to cooking them or cook, then freeze them?

Cheers SJ

freeze raw, then when cooking DONT thaw or atempt to break them all apart, they will work their own magic in the pot. your cooking times will be extended of course. :icon_cheers:

Excellent! Thanks Fourstar. Looks like wanton soup for dinner this weekend!

Cheers SJ

Wanton soup ey? Going to make your lady wear something a bit risque or will you yourself have some thigh high boots?

Looks good bribie. Dumplings and filled pastas of any kind can be fiddly and time consuming but when you make a good one, they're hard to beat.

Recently made some dumplings from scratch including the dough. Goddamn superb little things they were.

Bribie,
Thanks for the recipe mate. My missus loves this soup. Now it looks like you have got me more work to do. I will have to put up a post of my tacos al pastor, the real Mexican tacos.
Cheers
Chucka

Wanton soup ey? Going to make your lady wear something a bit risque or will you yourself have some thigh high boots?

Looks good bribie. Dumplings and filled pastas of any kind can be fiddly and time consuming but when you make a good one, they're hard to beat.

Recently made some dumplings from scratch including the dough. Goddamn superb little things they were.

why o' why? shaghai dumpling house and dumpling house about 15mins away from you!

took a newbie there the other night and they were gobsmacked. think we got through nearly 50 dumplings at approx $28! i love that shit.

why o' why? shaghai dumpling house and dumpling house about 15mins away from you!

took a newbie there the other night and they were gobsmacked. think we got through nearly 50 dumplings at approx $28! i love that shit.

Camy, FTW! :beerbang:

why o' why?

1. Pleasure of making your own stuff
2. 15 minutes by helicopter, 20 minutes by a car that I don't own or have access to, 1 hr by public transport, 30 minutes by pushbike.
3. I ate them in the back yard at 2am with my best mate and my lady. Shanghai ain't open at 2am and they don't stock my HB.
4. I love shanghai dumpling (village and inn)
5. Because.

What we BIABers do while waiting for the mash to do its thing. :icon_cheers: SWMBO is half Chinese and being the chef of the family I have had to HTFU and get up to speed with cooking that the rellies approve of :rolleyes:

Cheers Bribie, will try soon. I'm on a wonton/yum char etc buzz recently. Just curious your missus is half Chinese. What's her other half mate?

Out of all the things I miss about living in Melbourne, the Shanghai Dumpling House is right up there. I don't think they ever got an order right, the service is terrible, but its so cheap. I was there one afternoon and The Beatles - Come Together was playing and the CD was scratched, The last couple of minutes was repeated for about 20 minutes before anyone bothered to changed it haha.

Back