Gyōza / Jiǎozi / Pot Stickers / Dumplings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanga

Reaction score
Hi guys!

When I was in Japan there was this great little gyōza joint near where we worked. They served a meal of rice, egg drop soup, and dumplings with beer - that was all they served and it was glorious. I've recently started making my own dumplings, and while they're not the same they're still pretty good.

I go into the Adelaide Markets to get my ingredients. The asian supermarket there provides cheap pork products and all the bits you need super cheap (except the cabbage which I usually grab from one of the stalls).

• 20 gyoza wrappers
  • 1/4 kg ground pork (not minced, ground)
  • 1/3 cup chopped cabbage (steamed 3-5 minutes - you don't really have to, but it makes the flavours blend better)
  • 2-3 chopped spring onions (about half a handful all up)
  • 2 tsps soysauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic (I use the stuff in a jar)
  • 1 tsp grated ginger (again in the jar)
Dipping Sauce
  • 1 part soy sauce
  • 2 parts rice vinegar
  • chilli oil (careful with this, a couple of drops only - I've blistered the inside of my mouth before) or sesame oil (safer and totally nom!)
Mix your dumpling ingredients then put a little over a teaspoonful in each wrapper and press them together...

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/tempuraap...tomakegyoza.htm

a picture says a 1000 words. I can't really explain, but the pics show you.

I prefer mine the japanese 'potsticker' way. You heat some vege oil in a fry pan and add your dumplings (about half at a time otherwise you lose too much heat). When that side is browned you turn down the heat to medium and add about 1/3 cup of water and put a lid on (quickly) - steam until the water's gone. The wrapper on top should be slightly translucent - if not add a little more water and do again. Serve with the sauce and copious amounts of beer (or sake). As a snake or as a meal (I find 8 is usually more than enough per person).

They can be made ahead of time and frozen too - though when I do that I usually just steam them because it's easier (10 minutes from frozen). Last time I made dumplings I made 100 and stuck them in the freezer. Served with steamed vege they make a healthy and wholesome meal (carrots can be steamed at the same time as the dumplings and add broccoli half way in).

What's your recipe / method?

Best pork meal ever! A bowl of shoyu ramen and 7 gyoza with a beer is to die for. Too bad I don't eat meat anymore.

I used to make them 50 at a time, in much the same way you have here. No sweet chilli though. I would say the above cooking method is the same for me too. The hardest thing is getting the little ruffle that they have around the edges, as well as getting a good seal and not overfilling.

Latest posts

Back