Won't Someone Think Of The Children...........

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floppinab

Reaction score
One for the brewers with littlies.
A fair whack of you would have seen these ads, strategically placed in prime time, often during family programming times designed to have maximum effect when families are watching

http://www.drinkwise.com.au/menu2/DrinkWis...69/Default.aspx

Has it had any impact on the way you think, how you brew, and how you consume your brew with respect to you 'biters.

I've got 3 boys and will usually have a few in front of them 3 or 4 times a week. Maybe once or twice a year I'll get written off and they'll have seen it happen. In that sense I'm not too much different to my old man (also a homebrewer) but I do remember how much I hated it when he got pissed when I was of a young age.

Something that should be changed or an integral part of our culture that when managed well shouldn't cause any problems?????

The message of the ads that I saw is about imparting attitude to alcohol.
Well whenever I get a beer the first thing my daughter says is "Can I smell?"
The other day I poured a beer and she asked me, "What beer is that?" (which she got from my wife). "Dunkelweizen" I replied. "Oh, Dunkelweizen (and hearing my three year old pronounce it almost right gave me a big kick :)...) I haven't tried that in ages"

So so far my daughter knows to smell the beer and try different styles.
That's good enough for me.

On a more serious note I rarely get very drunk at home, and on the odd occassion it does get a bit larger it usually occurs after they have gone to bed anyway. Things are far too busy before that...

Hmm .. I'd be more worried about my kids creche serving up a smarty cake like the one in the film!

well .. swmbo will be exposed to alcohol regardless of what we do.
I hope that if she sees beer as something that is crafted and appreciated and endlessly discussed, she wont see it as means to recreational drunkeness.
HWMBO drinks quite circumspectly. What bothers me is that he finishes my beer and then opens wine after an 8% beer.
Its also a waste of money IMO. But I am very conservative.

aaaahhhh the one good part of having children over 30, you can get drunk with them...
icon_chickcheers.gif

the down side? me being close to 60
unsure.gif

Cheers,
Bud

That ad reflects that alcohol is part of our culture. Yes, it is. A sensible attitude towards drinking is something you should pass on to your kids. I hope to pass on some respect for good beer as well, rather than that generic stuff they were pedaling in the ad.

On a more serious note I rarely get very drunk at home, and on the odd occassion it does get a bit larger it usually occurs after they have gone to bed anyway. Things are far too busy before that...

No you wait until you get to ANHC & on the first night ring fellows members of Babbs during the meeting harrassing them with "wish you were here" texts :beerbang:

its all about education and attitude. if you instill in them a good sense of responsibility, appreciation and respect for alcohol then they should be right. Thats what my old man/family did I was a rather responsible teenage drinking (not to say that i didnt write myself off or dont now!). As a young kid i was allowed to have a sip of red or beer then when i was 13 I was allowed to have a beer at xmas etc etc. its all about education and trust. The only down side of that is that my old man develeoped my taste for good red and scotch and I now have a rather expensive cellar!

I let my 2yr old smell my beer and she's happy with that. she likes to come ovre and have a sniff. then again she does it with flowers and just about anything. I get the beer booze and she gets the mineral water. Actually to include her in my hobby I let hre watch me brew and she will getting a keg of mineral water in my keg setup. makes them feel apart of things and not like they have to sneak drinks etc.

EDIT: agree with BConnery - I rarely get more than 1 drink whilst the kids are up. too much to do.

Well did your parents pass on a good attitude towards alcohol?

Mine did...but I still drink every night - but don't get written off.

I think there are a lot of people at or below the poverty line that are not being responsible drinkers infront of their kids. So the kids just think that it is acceptable and the cycle continues - and the average kid gets dumber - and so does australia.

I support the governments ad to make the not so bright society in australia aware of their actions. Hopefully with lowering the cost of abortions as well as this drinking campaign we will see a smarter generation rise in australia

its all about education and attitude. if you instill in them a good sense of responsibility, appreciation and respect for alcohol then they should be right. Thats what my old man/family did I was a rather responsible teenage drinking (not to say that i didnt write myself off or dont now!). As a young kid i was allowed to have a sip of red or beer then when i was 13 I was allowed to have a beer at xmas etc etc. its all about education and trust. The only down side of that is that my old man develeoped my taste for good red and scotch and I now have a rather expensive cellar!

I let my 2yr old smell my beer and she's happy with that. she likes to come ovre and have a sniff. then again she does it with flowers and just about anything. I get the beer booze and she gets the mineral water. Actually to include her in my hobby I let hre watch me brew and she will getting a keg of mineral water in my keg setup. makes them feel apart of things and not like they have to sneak drinks etc.

EDIT: agree with BConnery - I rarely get more than 1 drink whilst the kids are up. too much to do.

+1

A great example of how I think kids should be brought up with alcohol. Apart of it. If you exclude them things will get nasty, as you said - sneaking drinks and could possibly lead to an inexperienced person drinking outside of their limit.

My dad was similar, got to smell, then taste. When I was roughly 15 I got to have my own one (at special occasions). Then 17 it was different - could get my mum to buy me a carton of becks.

The bloody ad had an impact on my wife :angry: . I rarely watch TV maybe an hour a week tops, but managed to catch this commercial.. a few days later as I pulled my first beer from the tap (at the 5oclock hour, mind you), she recounted the ad spiel nearly word for word, role-models, etc. and straight away went into setting ground rules, acceptable times of day drinking, etc.

In effect, it's done its trick in that it got our family talking about responsible consumption.. not that I'm irresponsible, mind you.

If that ad were shot in my house it would roll more like:
-Me at tap pulling a Roggenbier to tall wheat glass
-close up of silky rye cascading down to bottom
-meeting mates in backyard asking, what do you reckon is the most appropriate glass for serving roggenbier or variations regarding % of rye and acceptable yeast strain
-kid pulling up on bike and me asking
-can you pour us a Flanders Red in the Rodenback glass, just behind the collection of Lambic glasses (you know, the ones with the fruit on them)
-kid pulling the beer (just a minute on the snags hon) outside to asking mates, are you getting any plum or currant in the nose on the Flanders? I'm finding a slight-sourness is coming out, almost sherry-like as it ages..
-kid pulling up on bike, to repeat

:rolleyes:

A nuffy with the top shelf of his food fridge chockers with bottles talking about his hangover does have something to think about. To that end, and that target of drinkers, I suppose it's positive. Certainly shot and edited well!

reVox

classic revox. absolute classic. but your spot on. include them, educate them and they learn that you drink to enjoy the taste, the subtley of flavours, the craft of the hobby etc. I'd love to see your version made into an independant film advert. it would be great

Well did your parents pass on a good attitude towards alcohol?

Mine did...but I still drink every night - but don't get written off.

Same here...

I grew up in the country where it is considered the norm to finish the day with an ice cold beer of some sort.

My parents would nightly split a 6pack of beer and then mum would have a bourbon and coke, dad has a couple of rum and cokes, we have dinner then everyone over 16 has a glass of red...

After growing up in that environment and then spending years working in pubs, you get used to having a drink at the end of the day..

Now, in terms of my own daughter, she's 21months and loves to help with the bottling process, my wife fills, I cap, she places them in the esky to store...
When I want a beer, I take the glass from the freezer, she will grab the bottle from the fridge, pass it to me, then climb on her chair in the kitchen to 'help' me open the bottle. She also points at the bottles in the fridge and any schooner glass that I have left on the table and says "daddy's" and then leaves it alone. So while I may drink infront of her on a nightly basis, I don't tend to get drunk because bathtime is my job and there is no way I would trust myself to bathe her while drunk.

Once she's gone to bed I'll have a couple of beers while the missus has her wine and then we goto bed....

my wife fills, I cap, she places them in the esky to store...

Youve got a wicked thing going here! Dont wreck it :p

My boys only 5 months, so im not worried about drinking in front of him, hell be exposed to it sooner or later, as long as im not getting completely trashed and acting like a loser its all good...

We have a similair campaign running on the telly over here at the mo, "Its not the drinking, its how were drinking." :lol:

My kids 14 and won't get me a bloody beer when I ask, tells me to get it myself. Maybe I need to try and swap her for one that will. :D

Yes, that ad impacted me.
I shall be certain to not have kids now.
Trent.

No you wait until you get to ANHC & on the first night ring fellows members of Babbs during the meeting harrassing them with "wish you were here" texts :beerbang:
Damn straight. I'd do it again too.
You're just lucky you didn't more calls on the Saturday after 3 glasses of the conference Barleywine, and the Temple Saison, and the Oktoberfest, and the Brown ale, and so on :)
Or the Friday night after the beer matching dinner and then all those great club night beers... Rasberry Lambic, Brett beers, Galaxy Imperial IPA :icon_drool2:

On topic, my children didn't see any of this. All they knew was that daddy had gone to a 'beer meeting' for a few days :)

hmmm, that somehow doesn't add up. someone drinking a few beers at a bbq doesn't equal - 'hey son, go get shit-faced the second you turn 18' or even 'get hammered at 13-14 behind my back'

though i don't disagree with the message (it has merit if you have children and have a binge drinking habbit) they're trying to go way too far with it.

Back