Won't Someone Think Of The Children...........

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My girlfriends dad really has a tendancy to get well shit faced everytime there is a get to together. He has done it the whole time - even when she was younger. The reason that she doesn't binge drink like he does is because her mum would get embarressed or angry at him for getting all shit faced. So my girlfriend knew that even though he does it, it isn't something that is acceptable.

I think the ad is trying to change peoples attitudes.

We cooked a BBQ last night for myself, missus, 2 year old and 7 year old.. My 7 year old always asks for a sip of my beer, I usually give him a small sip, last night I was having a beer with a nice creamy head on it and gave him the first sip, he said it tastes funny that stuff on top, I said, its head. He replies can I have a sip without the head... :)

My mum always said, I would rather buy you a couple beers to take to a party than you go off and sneak booze and get yourself into all sorts of a mess, those 2 tallies she would buy me was way more than enough anyhow... :chug:

The way I see also with Homebrew is that it tends to be a bit more classier serving beer in a glass than having any esky full of stubbies and smashing them back from the bottle, I think that looks worse to children than anything, and also when you get shitfaced with 50 empty bottles laying around.. :party:

My kids only see me have a couple beers and then they are off to bed, then I have a little more.. :icon_cheers:

hmmm, that somehow doesn't add up. someone drinking a few beers at a bbq doesn't equal - 'hey son, go get shit-faced the second you turn 18' or even 'get hammered at 13-14 behind my back'

But that's not what the ad is saying. I quite like the ad because it's not at all judgemental. It's not telling people how to act or not to act, but just reminding people that how they behave around their children will affect how their children will behave when they grow up.

If you are happy to have a beer while you barbeque, and you are happy for your kids to do the same when they grow up, then go ahead and have a beer while you cook. If you don't want them yacking their guts up by the end of their barbeque, then try to avoid doing that yourself.

My mum always said, I would rather buy you a couple beers to take to a party than you go off and sneak booze and get yourself into all sorts of a mess, those 2 tallies she would buy me was way more than enough anyhow... :chug:

Smart woman, your mum. If you can put enough trust in your children to do the right thing by you then they usually do. It's better than telling them they're too young to drink (at 16 or 17), all they hear is, I don't trust you enough, and they go do it anyway.

I think the ad is trying to change peoples attitudes.

With the debate currently raging wrt violence and bing drinking (NSW have just enacted some laws with respect the to the use of plastic drinkware and lockouts >2am) there's no doubt that's what it's trying to do.

Most of the responses on here are what I would've expected and I pretty much agree with them. After all the vast majority of us are in the game to turn out a quality product for a tipple, not a volume to get pissed regularly with in front of our kids.

But at the same time I do wonder what sort of lasting memories my kids will have of me when I know a few of the memories I have of my long departed old man were of how much I hated him getting pissed even though there were very few occasions when he did.

I also wonder whether the "classical" Continental European drinking cultures have any difficulty with these sorts of issues.

Exactly how I was brought up, out in the middle of nowhere too.
On weekends most of the other kids in my class were getting smashed and into trouble - I didn't see the point as I had access to beers if I wanted at home - thing was I couldn't really stand the stuff!

Fast forward to now and I love a drop and do involve the kids (under 5yrs), they know my brewing days and ask questions, want to look. They help cap.
They know however that beer is "daddy's" drink and they have their own cordial water etc.

When they are older I will introduce it more as it was to me gradually. Trust is the key.

I have never been drunk in front of the kids though, hell I can count on one hand how many times in the last five years I have been drunk (smashed) - still had two fingers leftover!
Love a beer or three at night but don't drink to excess anymore - and yeah I'm still only a young un! (couple of years until it's 30!)

They'll be OK

Cartoon_Beer_Chug.jpg

I've posted this pic before I know,but I like it :lol:

Batz

looks like a brew day in tha garage with a gas leak

Im just ducking out for a smoke dear...................

I think the ad was very well done in that I think the root message was you should realise that everything you do, no matter how trivial you think it may be, is absorbed by your kids. There's a similar one dealing with smoking here, and another to do with drugs.

That said, I think it's pretty important for kids to be exposed to alcohol just so that they don't regard it as "taboo". I draw heavily on my own youth for this opinion, and I don't think that my experiences are drastically different from everyone else's. When I was young and still living at home, the kids at the party that were completely pissed and out of control were almost always 1) the principal's kids, 2) the cop's kids, or 3) the minister's kids. Most, but not all, of these kids had strict homes and alcohol was most certainly taboo. Combine that attitude with a ridiculously early curfew, and the results were predictable.

Fast forward to university and I saw similar outcomes there. The kids who came from households where alcohol was a no-no generally got out of control way more often than everyone else.

I never get completely blotto in front of my kids, but I don't hide the fact that I prefer to have a beer every night. What I hope happens is that they associate beer/alcohol with "normal" life and not something that's to be hidden or whispered about. I'm actually quite disappointed that neither of them likes beer now, which is solely because one of their older friends once said "Eww, beeeer!" They used to sneak sips from my glass before that, but now I may as well be carrying a glass of piss around for all they care.

Act responsibly around your kids and chances are they will grow up to be responsible as well. Simple as that.

Now they are (Goverment- controlling bastards) are trying to destroy are culture - and it's the only cultural specific thing white Aussies have!
A few beers with mates, yep they seem like the worst parents to me ... far worse than the parents that work 80 hours a week and let the system raise their children.

The ads suck, besides those that need to be told basic shit like that i.e. moderation, aren't listening (and probability don't have tv's)and the rest of us don't need to hear it. Damn, spend the money on the homeless. I for one get sick of being told how to live.

Now i'm off to get smashed and look after my 1year old daughter :chug:

Ok this topic is interesting for me.
I come from a light drinking family, a glass of white with dinner a couple of nights a week.
I used to drink heavily as a late teen/ early 20's and usually to excess and still like a drink but have moderated my behavior as i got older
My kids don't like beer and will sip the odd mixed drink (no more than a sip or 2)
My partner is Italian (genuine imported variety not home grown) and lets her daughter drink a little beer when she wants but less than half a stubbie.
She says that it is not often you will find a drunk person in public in Italy although it can happen (i think they have more problems with pills) and that it is reviled culturally and was surprised to see how heavily aussies drink, yet she is more complacent with her daughter than i am with mine.
In Japan there are beer vending machines but to be drunk in public is dishonorable (but the businessmen all try to drink each other under the table in the resturants).
In Munich they have a beer around 10am like a morning tea.

I don't particularly like the ads because the family bbq is somewhere that it should be ok to socialize and have a drink (all in moderation) and it should be with mates (and not hidden at home with no one around) but not ok to be drunk and abusive or passed out all over the ground.
I think the campaign misses the mark.

I think the campaign misses the mark.

Ditto for me.

I don't see the issue. The only messages I can see in there are "Cold beer comes from the fridge", and "Dad likes a beer" and "when Dad is having a beer at a bbq, and it runs out, he likes to have another."

Does it show anything about the 50 hour week he's put in, and that he probably deserves to have a couple of coldies with his mates? Nope

Does it show him falling over himself, acting like an idiot, drunk as a skunk? Nope. In fact does it show any irresposible behaviour really? I don't thnk so. I think it shows a typical situation (which may well in many households deteriorate as the eveniing wears on, but the add doesn't make that distinction.)

I think there's a much better add on TV that makes the point about the specific subject they are trying to address, that's the one that lasts about 10 seconds and shows the little girl at the bathroom door with Dad hugging the toilet like a teenager. Straight to the point, not able to be confused and very distinctly makes the point that children witness that behaviour on occasion and it's not acceptable. It even manages to illict a slight feeling of shame in me when I remember the occasions that I have over-indulged to the point of losing control (not in front of my kids though)

Not into media that in their effort to make a clever add, manage to demonise what I don't consider to be irresponsible behaviour (the 'get me a beer son' add.)

If they must try to get a message across, I believe they should do a better job of distinguishing between acceptable normal behaviour and unacceptable in a way that cannot be confused/mis-understood, lest kids grow up with that one eyed tee-totaller view that they are simply not capable of exerting self control when it comes to alcohol because the alcohol will rule them and control their actions. That kind of message leads to people making excuses like " it was the grog that made me do it" which is the biggest cop out in existence.

I have two boys both sides of 20 and although they have seen me drinking all their lives they don't binge drink or have beer at home. The older one sometimes goes out for a drink with his mates and because he lives and works way out of town he gets a $70 motel room. When they come over for a visit they are always keen to try my latest brew and politely sip it and say 'nice beer Dad' but if I offer them a second glass, normally it's "No thanks, I'm driving" or "ok but I'm only able to have two drinks in the first hour"

BribieG breathes huge sigh of relief :) :) :)

PS I don't recall if we had a milkman around the mid to late eighties when they were born.

I agree with domonsura....

The other ad about kids picking up your habits in general makes me think more about my behaviour than the targetted drinking one...

The most chilling ad I ever saw was the one with the father lying in the bed in hospital with an oxygen mask and his daughter (aged roughly 9-11) telling him about her fun weekend........

That was the same night I gave up smoking....

We're all sick of seeing that picture of your kids :p

My kids are much older than that.
And I am a proud old man,yes they had a beer with me in their early teens with no ill affects.

Batz

Back