Woah! Tasted My First Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Brew

Reaction score
hey hey

Just tasted my first batch of extract beer, its an aussie pale ale, 23 litre batch and I used Pride of Ringwood hops. I have finally achieved the natural taste I've been after since I visted a Micro Brewery. After countless batches and record keeping I was pretty dissatisfied with Kit n Bits brewing because I kept getting that horrible aftertaste and didnt ever achieve much flavour. I invested in Extract brewing and thought I'd gi9ve it a stab and I'm glad I did. This batch is only a month old and im very happy with it, I cant wait to taste it as it matures. And to think from the little knowledge and experience I have, imagine what I could achieve with more! So happy with this brew and this has inspired me to keep going. Cant wait to taste the belgian ale I made! With more practise and more time brewing I think I will keep brewing for years to come despite 2009 being a shit brewing year for me. Practise makes perfect and I appreciate the hobby a whole lot more then what I did after the whole 3 years of brewing I have done. Its a new year, a new leaf and a new page in my brewing experiences and can't wait to see what I will achieve. Not giving up! Practise makes perfect.

Maybe I spoke a little bit of bullshit but I had to share!

To the future! Cheers!

dicko

Wait till the bug bites harder and pushes you to AG.........

I can still remember tasting my first AG and just going "Why the f*ck did I ever bother doing anything else..........."

I'm looking at doing an extract using Pride of Ringwood hops, what was your recipe?

I went right through the whole gamut and while there's more variables involved the further you go (and therefore margin for error) there is a discernible and worthwhile difference in each phase.

Glad it worked out for you.

Yeah I can't wait to get into All Grain one day! So much better quality beer as it is All Grain must be the best consumable liquid to mankind. No wonder its called the nectar of the gods! The sky is the limit once you progress and advance, cant wait to have my own house and advance into all grain.

My recipe was as follows: Aussie Pale Ale

25 Litre batch (think i put 23 by misteak)
2.5kg Light Dried Malt Extract
300g Caramalt 60 EBC
35g Pride of Ringwood in Boil
15g Pride of Ringwood 5 mins left
US-05

Brewed at 20C for 9 days then racked over to secondary for 7 days at 20C.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of my hydro readings but this is what I got:

OG 1.036
FG 1.1012
Alc%: 3.8

Pretty please with this recipe and theres proberly a few blokes having a chuckle about how amature it proberly is but worked wonders for me.

Happy Brewing, Cheers for my first Extract and Aussie pale ale!!

Ahh... I remember feeling exactly the same way when I tried my first extract which was an APA. That was aorund eighteen months ago and it has only got better. I went from extracts to partials and now AG.

Brew on and enjoy.

Gavo.

Pretty please with this recipe and theres proberly a few blokes having a chuckle about how amature it proberly is but worked wonders for me.

If anyone is having a laugh at your enjoyment of the great beer you made then they can eat the first half of your name (and then all of my name). As you have discovered great beers can be made with extract so don't concern yourself too much with AG right now. Keep making tops extract beers until you reckon the time is right for you to change.

Cheers!

I loved my extract beers when I made them, they tasted so much better than my kit efforts......

AG in an apartment is possible, myself, Bizier and Vitalstatistix are all proof of that.

Happy Brewing, Cheers for my first Extract and Aussie pale ale!!

Recipe looks fine and if it tastes fine then it's probably um...........fine.

You will learn what your palate enjoys in terms of hoppiness and maltiness and bitterness and sweetness, the balance between them and how to tweak each ingredient so you can achieve that. It looks like a good base recipe to start and nice and simple which usually makes better beer.

Awesome work on Extract #1.

Always good to hear fellow brewers heading towards using more grain!!!

Cheers to you! :icon_cheers:

If anyone is having a laugh at your enjoyment of the great beer you made then they can eat the first half of your name (and then all of my name). As you have discovered great beers can be made with extract so don't concern yourself too much with AG right now. Keep making tops extract beers until you reckon the time is right for you to change.

Cheers!

Spot on. Stick with extract and work on all the other variables, in particular yeast management and temp control. Getting these right first will result in much better beer.

Well done and brew on :beer:

Extract beers can taste amazing.

At my club I've been handed some brews I'd swear were AG only to be shocked to discover they were Extract. Know one guy whose extract beers in my opinion taste better than his all-grains. Strange but true. If you get good extract recipes, use fresh ingredients, practice good sanitation and nail your temperature control by fermenting your yeast in the right range, then you can create beers that can stand up alongside the best.

Good luck with your next one!

Hopper.

I happen to know for a fact that the beer that recently won best of show at Castle Hill
was NOT ALL grain, yes it contained lots of grain, but contained extract as well.

You can make superb comp winning beer with extract and partial.
As HoppingMad says if you get all the basics right they will stand up well.

it's always great to see another brewer excited about their journey in brewing. I actually like to see people start with kits and progress to extract and even on to all grain, perfect way to perfect all the brewing process. Certainly extract beers that are made with care and quality ingredients are top brews and many people have won competitions with them.

Keep up the fun and obsession :D

Oh, and BTW..........

Ahh... I remember feeling exactly the same way when I tried my first extract which was an APA. That was aorund eighteen months ago and it has only got better. I went from extracts to partials and now AG.

Brew on and enjoy.

Gavo.

the short statured one would have a tear in his eye if he read that ;)

Latest posts

Back