Hello Everyone, I have been brewing on and off for thirty years. I started mainly with unhopped malt extract. I was happy with the results. I switched

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wickham

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have been brewing on and off for thirty years. I started mainly with unhopped malt extract. I was happy with the results. I switched to brew in a bag about eight years ago. I enjoy the whole process of brewing, thinking about what’s next, listening to podcasts and sampling my beers.

Mainly German styles and I enjoy participating in barrel projects with my local Homebrew club as its fun brewing with other club members and doing brews that I wouldn’t normally do.

Hi I am just an extract brewer and have just made my first partial mash brew with a prehopped kit. Have brought myself a rapt tem controller and my brew is doing ok. Hasnt bubbled ot the blow off tube but it is fermenting.Was wondering if it will make a difference not bubbling. Have taken a sample and it is definitley working..and it smells great like real beer. Always had a problem with that nasty yeasty homebrew taste and listening to all the brewers out there I have learnt that it is the temperature not being constant, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have solved the problem Cheers Susan

I haven't brewed from a kit for dacades, but I know what you mean about the off flavours. From what I've read on other forums, the quality of kits has improved massively in recent years and it's now possible to brew some really decent beer. Temperature control is definitely a bonus.

Like Wickham, I moved on up to unhopped extract brews and was perfectly happy with the results. Then then it got reclassified for VAT and the price became ridiculous so I started buying sacks of grain and never looked back. I think that's a journey many of us make.

What's a barrel project, Wickham?

Bubbling means very little to nothing. If it's fermenting, it will produce CO2, and it will find its own way out, whether through an airlock or otherwise. If you can see a kraeusen on top of your brew, it's underway.
As it is, I did a kit brew a few weeks back, as it's taken me some time to rebuild my brewery following an interstate move. It's an OK drink, but not up to what I can produce as all grain. I've just bottled an all grain Hefeweizen last week, and I'm holding good hopes for that one. Will be brewing my standard APA later this week.

Hi I am just an extract brewer and have just made my first partial mash brew with a prehopped kit. Have brought myself a rapt tem controller and my brew is doing ok. Hasnt bubbled ot the blow off tube but it is fermenting.Was wondering if it will make a difference not bubbling. Have taken a sample and it is definitley working..and it smells great like real beer. Always had a problem with that nasty yeasty homebrew taste and listening to all the brewers out there I have learnt that it is the temperature not being constant, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have solved the problem Cheers Susan
Your lid is not on tight enough as the Co2 is escaping from between the seal of the lid and the fermenter barrel. If there is Krausen on the top its fermenting. Try not open the fermenter as it could start an infection. Patience grasshopper.

I haven't brewed from a kit for dacades, but I know what you mean about the off flavours. From what I've read on other forums, the quality of kits has improved massively in recent years and it's now possible to brew some really decent beer. Temperature control is definitely a bonus.

Like Wickham, I moved on up to unhopped extract brews and was perfectly happy with the results. Then then it got reclassified for VAT and the price became ridiculous so I started buying sacks of grain and never looked back. I think that's a journey many of us make.

What's a barrel project, Wickham?
My Homebrew club have purchased a whisky barrel or cask from a local distillery. We have filled these barrels with our own brews, such as imperial stout and a Smokey porter.

Latest posts

Back