Wlp862 Cry Havoc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insight

Reaction score
Was looking at the White Labs website this evening and ran across something I hadn't seen before. According to the audio (link on site) this is a lager strain that performs well at ale temps too.

Has anyone used it yet? Any opinions?

WLP862 Cry Havoc
This signature strain, from Charlie Papazian, has the ability to ferment at both ale and lager temperatures allowing the brewer to produce diverse beer styles. The recipes in both Papazian's books, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and The Homebrewers Companion, were originally developed and brewed with this yeast. Papazian had "Cry Havoc" in his yeast stable since 1983.

When fermented at ale temperatures, the yeast produces fruity esters reminiscent of berries and apples. Hop character comes through well with hop accented beers. Diacetyl production will be very low when proper fermentation techniques are used.

When fermented at lager temperatures, esters are low in high gravity beers and negligible in other beers. Pleasant baked bread-like yeast aroma is often perceived in malt accented lagers. Slightly extended fermentation times may be experienced compared to other lagers. Some fermentation circumstances may produce sulfur aroma compounds, but these will usually dissipate with time. Good yeast for bottle conditioning.

For Ales:

Attenuation: 66-70

Flocculation: M-L

Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-74F

Optimum Cellaring Temperature: 50-55F

+ Alt beers can be cellared at lagering temperatures

For Lagers:

Attenuation: 66-70

Flocculation: L

Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 55-58F

Optimum Lagering Temperature: 32-37F

Insight
Duff had some,so did Mike_M, don't know if they tried it yet. We have some more arriving early next week
Cheers
Gerard

Insight,

I brewed a double batch of AIPA and split it with US-05 and WLP862. I made a starter with the 862 and tried to get the same number of cells based on the Mr. Malty calculator. US-05 was just sprinkled on top.

Fermenting, the 862 threw a larger krausen and is good for top cropping, but was slower to ferment than the US-05 (about 3 - 4 days longer).

Taste wise, the US-05 is slightly drier than the 862. Both accentuate the hop profile well, and the 862 is clean, similar to 001. I have sent a bottle of each up to Jye who is taking them along for a tasting next Thursday at the Brisbane gathering. Maybe they might like to post what they find between the yeast.

Overall, it was good to try, but I don't find any real difference between the two. The ease and simplicity of opening a pack of US-05 and sprinkling in wins for mine.

In a lager sense, based on the above, I would guess the 862 could be compared to 34/70 and the US-05 compared to S-189.

Cheers.

Haven't tried it yet. Was going to take it the lager route and try for a Steam beer, but my barley wine is in the fermenting fridge for a while

Duff we cracked your bottles the other night and the overwhelming consensus (9/10) was that the US05 was cleaner in flavour and aroma. 862 was a lot fruiter and some couldnt even handle the aroma :eek:

Anyone who prefers a bit of yeast influence in their beers give it ago but for me Im sticking to US05.

Cheers for the beers Duff :beer:

Duff we cracked your bottles the other night and the overwhelming consensus (9/10) was that the US05 was cleaner in flavour and aroma. 862 was a lot fruiter and some couldnt even handle the aroma :eek:

Anyone who prefers a bit of yeast influence in their beers give it ago but for me Im sticking to US05.

Cheers for the beers Duff :beer:

Yes, it was interesting to see how different people reacted to the 2 yeasts. From memory all found it more funky, with just one person preffering it.
I personally didn't like it at all, the aroma put me off before even getting it to my lips. I wish I could give better feedback on the aroma/taste I was getting, but it was a big night :icon_drunk: & my memorys jaded.
The US-05 beer though was lovely & thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks Duff.

cheers Ross

I too was one of the 9/10 that thought the US05 was much better. As Ross said, the 862 was definitely funkier.

Just saw the feedback as I was away over the long weekend here.

Interesting on the fruitiness with the 862, aroma especially. Certainly the US-05 was alot cleaner, the choice for me.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back