Wlp002

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermented

I have the body of a god: Buddha.
Reaction score
'Evening!

After a wee break from brewing I'm back into it with an IPA experiment using WLP002. I had wanted WLP007 but it was sold out.

So far, it's 24 hours in and has a nice beige foam on top, fermenter is pressure positive (bulging airlock just for you Butters!), and all is well.

I've read that it's a high flocc'er with very good attentuation, but am concerned that some reports of it floccing out before the fermentation is complete could be troublesome. My concern is that if it stalls through floccing out, how would I know aside from SG testing? Krausen caves in? Temp falls? Other?

Should I just take it on faith that it will all be OK or should I rock the fermenter every couple of days until SG is all well and done? Or rouse it properly by stirring?

OG = 1062, pitched and held at 24C, planning to reduce to 18C in the morning.

Also, how long should I expect fermentation to take and what is the probable FG?

Cheers - Fermented.

'Evening!

Should I just take it on faith that it will all be OK or should I rock the fermenter every couple of days until SG is all well and done? Or rouse it properly by stirring?

OG = 1062, pitched and held at 24C, planning to reduce to 18C in the morning.

Also, how long should I expect fermentation to take and what is the probable FG?

Cheers - Fermented.

Hi Fermented

The FG will depend a bit on what you mashed at, but you should get around 1.012 if it doesn't floc too hard.
I would rock it every day, maybe more and give it a stir every 2nd day. This yeast flocs hard and sets like concrete and should finish in 4 or 5 days.

Cheers
Pedro

Pinched this from

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains_wlp002.html

hope it helps

English Ale Yeast
WLP002 English Ale Yeast
A classic ESB strain from one of England's largest independent breweries. This yeast is best suited for English style ales including milds, bitters, porters, and English style stouts. This yeast will leave a beer very clear, and will leave some residual sweetness.
Attenuation: 63-70%
Flocculation: Very High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Write a Review/Ask a Question

Reviews:

"Works great for the style."
By
: DVW
Date: April 07, 2007
Beers Brewed: mild, ESB, brown mild
Comments: My favorite yeast! Works great for the styles listed. Very clean. Is slow to start, but if you agitate it a bit within the first 10-12 hours, it kicks into high gear. Maltiness really comes through. Beer is very clear when finished. If producing authentic English ales, and the water has been treated with added minerals, the mineral tastes are more enhanced.

" ... pretty clean."
By: 925
Date: March 05, 2007
Beer brewed: *******
Comments: Basically hopped with Amarillo and Goldings. Yeast is pretty clean, but really masks hop aroma and flavor. So flocculent that friends will think your beer is filtered

Stone brewing Co. use WLP002 with their IPA and imo, it's :icon_drool2: .

WLP007 being out of stock may have worked to your advantage :)

Be sure to report back tasting notes or at least overall impression. Warren recently posted a recipe for APA with english ale yeast (Wyeast 1098 from memory) and loved it, fwiw. Good direction, overall.

reVox

The FG will depend a bit on what you mashed at, but you should get around 1.012 if it doesn't floc too hard.
I would rock it every day, maybe more and give it a stir every 2nd day. This yeast flocs hard and sets like concrete and should finish in 4 or 5 days.
Thanks, Pedro. Will do. Seeing it sets hard, should I try to get some into suspension come bottling time in order to help the bottle fermentation / carbing along?

Also, how is for re-use in the cup'o'slurry method? Much the same as other White Labs yeasts?

Oh - and I'm not yet a masher... I'm a lowly extract brewer. Time and money will come my way sooner or later, not to mention more space.

Pinched this from [...snip...]
Yes, already read that and some other US stuff... Useful, but there's nothing better than local brothers who know their stuff. Besides, am leery of seppos for the most part. :D

Stone brewing Co. use WLP002 with their IPA and imo, it's :icon_drool2: .

WLP007 being out of stock may have worked to your advantage.
Can't say I know Stone. Looks like it's time to look for something new to me. :) I was shooting more for something along the lines of Squire's IPA as to me it's a reasonably pleasant drop but wanted more hops character, more like the flavour I remember in beer when I was a kid sipping Grand-dad's.

The WLP007 appealed to me as a high floccer and high attenuation and moderately temperature deviation tolerant yeast. Still, am keen to make the best of this one and try for a good series before changing horses again.

And yes, will report back and if it turns out nicely will post the recipe... after all, we few extract guys need to try (very hard) to give the AG fellas a wee run for their money.

Cheers - Fermented.

Latest posts

Back