Wires Through Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcampbell

Reaction score
I have the STC-1000 wired up and tested.

So now time to drill the fridge and put in the sensor, and the heater wire. I note the STC-1000 Manual says (in Perfect Chinese English) "The sensor down-lead and power wire should be kept a proper distance"

I was going to put a 19mm (3/4) gland through the top of the fridge (thought there was the least chance of hitting anything up there) and run both wires through it. Should I go for two holes instead?

Cheers
Steve

[quote name='Steve's Pub' post='755317' date='Mar 24 2011, 10:25 AM']I have the STC-1000 wired up and tested.

So now time to drill the fridge and put in the sensor, and the heater wire. I note the STC-1000 Manual says (in Perfect Chinese English) "The sensor down-lead and power wire should be kept a proper distance"

I was going to put a 19mm (3/4) gland through the top of the fridge (thought there was the least chance of hitting anything up there) and run both wires through it. Should I go for two holes instead?

Cheers
Steve[/quote]
I run mine between the door and fridge, saves the risk of hitting something and still seals very tight. Depends on your fridge as well. Make and model would help, but your best off calling the company. I wanted to drill in a new LG fridge and they were quite helpful, I ended up going through the drainage because the risk of hitting something was too great, gas lines were apparently everywhere.

Yeah, I read that too and tried working out what "a proper distance" meant but in the end went for 2 holes to keep them separated as much as the hobby box I used would allow. (my thread is [topic="51949"]here[/topic])

I also figured that once wired to the main controller the power and sensor aren't that far apart... if I'm correct the distance is to reduce interference so I would try separating them as much as you can practically and aesthetically.

Talked to the local fridge repairer who told me the best place to drill. It is an all fridge Westinghouse 336 litre.

Two holes now in the right hand side - with some plastic tube to act as a grommet.

Wired up the STC 1000 and plugged in the fridge and a heater (spare heater belt).

Holding a steady 21.0C :) with 2 fermenters inside.

I'll post some pics later.

Cheers
Steve

Steve did okay, others - check out this video before you pick up the drill.

Skip to 0:50

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought 21C was a bit high, run mine at 18C

Indeed it is - but it was the temp of my fermenters so it stabilised much easier so could see it cycle. Have now got it at 19C now and see what the fermenters stabilise at.

Cheers
Steve

Anyone know why the sensor wire needs to be in a different hole to the power? I would have thought the insulation should stop any interference running between the chords.I've got my sensor and power coming out the same hole of my box. Does this need to be fixed?

Anyone know why the sensor wire needs to be in a different hole to the power? I would have thought the insulation should stop any interference running between the chords.I've got my sensor and power coming out the same hole of my box. Does this need to be fixed?

Probably 50Hz interference or somethink. You might be getting slightly wonky temperature readings, but yet again that's a guess.

Back