Winter Fermentation Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If ambient is 14, it will start and get to around 17 when at the height of activity (then trail off again).

That said I'd recommend a 15/16 start, let rise to 20/21 after 3-4 days with 1469.

Among liquid yeasts, Wyeast 1728 is a great choice for cool temps. I've used it starting at 13. Clean.

OliverWM said:
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone had experience with Wyeast 1469 at lower temps (~14c ambient)?
It should work just fine. Traditionally Yorkshire Square yeasts were run at about 16 degrees, so 14 should be in the range. I normally do mine at around 16 to 17. As you'll see from next paragraph you can keep it at 17 no problems with some insulation during the initial exothermic fermentation.

On the topic of Winter fermenting, I just checked the ale in the picture in post #10 (not 1469) - and although ambient in the garage is 14 this morning, the ale is chugging along at just over 18, and it's been going for 4 days at high krausen so my mighty Bribie Chestinator® saves the day once again. :D

Thanks manticle and Bribie G. I did manage to stabilise chamber temp at ~18c using a 5l jerry can filled with boiling water, and the ferment seems to have kicked off now (phew). Cheers.

Latest posts

Back