Winter Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmC

Reaction score
Has anyone got any good winter brew recipes? Maybe a nice dark, chocolatey sweet coffee sort of thing? :chug:

Check the RecipeDB forum mate. I'm sure you'll find a recipe to get you through the cold season.

Today i did a brew using malt extract but i am willing to anything if its fairly simple, im very inexperienced when it comes to homebrewing. Only up to my 5th brew, results have been pretty poor due to my wort being fermented at 26-28C until i found out that the k&k instructions were bullshit. My last one I boiled 600m extract and then used hops at different intervals, last 5 minutes added the rest. Have it sitting in a bucket of 20C water wrapped in a towel. Hope that helps.

Yep, temp control will always help.
If you want to add a twist to a simple dark ale, try the following:
A personal fav toucan brew from when i did kits.

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale beer kit
1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale beer kit
10g East Kent Golding pellets 15 mins
20g East Kent Golding pellets steep
Both sachets of yeast or ale yeast of your choice

And if want a nice little twist in there, try adding about 2tspn on cinnamon or clove. Should throw something interesting in there.

Yep, temp control will always help.
If you want to add a twist to a simple dark ale, try the following:
A personal fav toucan brew from when i did kits.

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale beer kit
1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale beer kit
10g East Kent Golding pellets 15 mins
20g East Kent Golding pellets steep
Both sachets of yeast or ale yeast of your choice

And if want a nice little twist in there, try adding about 2tspn on cinnamon or clove. Should throw something interesting in there.

I also saw another recipe that looks similar.

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark Ale
500g Dex
24g fuggles
Both yeast

Hint of cinnamon and maybe some choc/coffee? Now im just winging it :lol: i need to keep it simple so yours look good. I cant get Goldings at my hbs so will fuggles work for hops?

Hint of cinnamon and maybe some choc/coffee? Now im just winging it :lol: i need to keep it simple so yours look good. I cant get Goldings at my hbs so will fuggles work for hops?
Im not sure about coffee so im not going to recommend anything because i don;t even drink it :p
I preffer fuggles to Goldings, as the goldings are a tad sweet? i dunno, i find fuggles more earthy and spicy which i like.

You could add cocoa powder maybe to get a choc flavour. Or add a block of chocolate to a boil.

Goodluck! Let me know how it goes.

If you want a porter/dark ale go with the pale ale and dark ale cans, or if u want it roastier and more stout like, obviously go with the stout and dark ale cans.

I have to do neils centennial/amarillo combo first, everyone seems to like it so i think i will give it a crack, have the hops on the way for it now :beerbang: Winters not here just yet...i might have to get a 3rd fermenter

When Doing a two can brew do you still brew it in a standard 23l fermenter? what are the results of a two can?

When Doing a two can brew do you still brew it in a standard 23l fermenter? what are the results of a two can?

I believe so, i think toucans are more for bitter brews though. Putting on a cooper stout on thursday.

1 can coopers stout
1 tin dark malt extract
250g dex
250g lactose
kit yeast

Yeah still in the same fermenter, however the krausen can get pretty volatile (foaming out the airlock), so it's best to put it somewhere where you don't care if it drips.
The results are a stronger, more bitter beer, as you're using 2 hopped cans.
The stout/dark ale combo is a popular combo.

You can chuck a toucan into a 23l fermenter no worries. By far the best kits brews that i made were toucan stouts bribie g style (2x coopers stout, 1kg dex, 1kg ldme, and a handful of dry hops). Be warned it comes out around 9 or 10% abv!
Tmc's recipe with the can of coopers dark, can of coopers stout some dex and fuggles sounds like a corker. Have a go at that.

with the dry hops whats best to include ive got a bag of cascade hear would that suit? im just getting my head around the idea off added hops i dry hopped yesterday 4 days after i put down a coopers pale ale..

Added after 4 days sounds like the go. Cascade is a US hop and has a fair bit of a citrus going on. Think Little Creatures Pale Ale. If you want that character in your beer go for it.
If it was me and I was making a toucan stout I'd go for EKG or Styrians or Fuggles. These will give you a more English character.
Personal preference really.

Latest posts

Back