Winter Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loot

Reaction score
Hi,
After beginning brewing career last summer and acheiving some pleasing results I was wondering about the temperature drop of winter in relation to the bottle carbonation process. I have been storing my bottles in the garage. The temp in Brisbane tonight is 8 degrees. What is the ideal temp for the bottle carbonation process? I am using 750ml tallies.
Thanks
LOOT

If you mean bottle carbonation, the optimum fermentation temp of the yeast is probably best, although if a lager runs around ale temps not a lot of harm will be done at that point.

If you can maintain 18-22 then you should have no drama. A lager yeast will work cooler but no need to keep it there.

8 deg? - oh, boo hoo, I had frost on my lawn yesterday!

The babies room in our house has an oil bar heater in there that keeps him at a snug 18 - 20 deg, so naturally I assumed any son wouldn't want his father drinking flat beer, so I shifted my two crates of Belgian triple into the corner and threw a small blanket over the top. Worked like a charm.
His mother was less enthusiastic - but came round - eventually.

These heaters are safe and can be had for cheap from Bunnings. So if you have a spare room - smaller the better - have at it.

Or you could just wait.

8 deg? - oh, boo hoo, I had frost on my lawn yesterday!

The babies room in our house has an oil bar heater in there that keeps him at a snug 18 - 20 deg, so naturally I assumed any son wouldn't want his father drinking flat beer, so I shifted my two crates of Belgian triple into the corner and threw a small blanket over the top. Worked like a charm.
His mother was less enthusiastic - but came round - eventually.

These heaters are safe and can be had for cheap from Bunnings. So if you have a spare room - smaller the better - have at it.

Or you could just wait.

I take it she preferred the beers in the babies room as opposed to moving the baby and heating out to the brew shed :lol:

It was freezing cold here to, it got down to 9.9 here last night with a 'feels like' temp of 7.0 :ph34r:
But its warm in my office, got the heater set to 26.. How can I capture the heat and send it home - free heating for the house.

For the bottles as the other guys have said, keep them at the correct temp for fermenting is best; cause thats what you are really doing, a latter ferment to cause carb'ing.

QldKev

You guys have got it good, we got to a top of 7 yesterday going for 9 today, as for frost< I cant tell the fogs too damn thick to see the grass.
Garage with heating is holding a nice 13-15c..turned the fridge off, dont need it ATM.
Spare room has become conditioning zone.

I take it she preferred the beers in the babies room as opposed to moving the baby and heating out to the brew shed :lol:

Initially I suggested wrapping the baby in the heating belt, but couldn't find a suitable position for the thermostat probe.

She then suggested I wrap the belt around myself and sleep with the bottles - and also where I could position the probe...ouch..

Fhark you lot are soft: :p

GetAttachment.jpg

Taken by my mother in law, 1/2 and hour drive from here.

oil bar heater in there that keeps him at a snug 18 - 20 deg

Any idea how much power those heaters chew up in comparison to say an electric reverse cycle heater?

I kept my first brew in a box with a hot water bottle and sleeping bag. It sorta worked. About as carbonated as Kilkenny Irish ale.

Any idea how much power those heaters chew up in comparison to say an electric reverse cycle heater?

Not sure. It has two settings that let it run between 2400w and 1200w. Plus an adjustable thermostat and booster fan.
We normally just have it running on the low setting at about 3/4 the way up.
I'll find out next quarter I guess.

But what price can you put on a happy, comfortable child?

...or correctly carbonated beer...

You shouldn't have any problems in Brisbane as the temperature over a couple of weeks will even out to around 18 in most homes even with the cold nights. I have a top shelf in the wardrobe in a spare room that will hold around 40 bottles and in the case of an all-bottle brew I put about a dozen there and the rest fend for themselves in the garage.

I'm Northside and I put down a US05 when we had those 12 degree nights a few weeks ago and it never stalled - went down to 1.010.

Using 2 x Swiss Lagers with the 9-12 nights and they are chugging along fine.

Mine are under the house, and that part of the house doesn't get sun (hilly block). The temp there is lucky if it gets above 15-16 degrees absolute tops. The brick keeps the temp for long enough that the day doesn't fluctuate it too much.

Brisbane in winter is perfect brewing time. Summer, on the other hand is STC1000 weather.

Goomba

was just reading this thread, and got to thinking about whats been said....... so anywho.. i have an old fridge at home a mate gave me.... he had been using it as a beer fridge with kegs and a tap system..... untill he wanted to put a lock on it and put a hole through a gas line! clown! i also recently bought myself a snake.... whyich needs a heat source just like a brew does...... so the equation goes something like this.....

old beer fridge + thermo bulb like snake tank = HEAT BOX!

big enough to house about 6 cartons! YEW!

Back