Wine Smell?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean83

Reaction score
I have just gone to rack my latest all grain brew into a keg and it had a distinct wine smell to it (I took a small sample from the secondary container and tasted it.) The actual taste is not off putting but the smell is not nice at all.

Without thinking I dry hopped 20 grams of cascade straight into the keg hoping that might mask the smell a little. Then forced carbed it and wacked it straight into the fridge. Was this the right thing to do?

It was an all cascade pale ale and it is the first all grain I have had any hiccups with.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sean

I've tasted other peoples knk beers and they usually have a wine taste. An ag i did once had a winey kind of flavour, wasn't fermented high, i put it down to a light infection and chemo-nuked my kit.

I don't have heaps of experience with infections, but apparently they sometimes only infect the top of the brew, so maybe you'll get lucky if the whole fermenter didn't fit in the keg. Cascade is great at hiding off flavours too, so good move there.

I have just gone to rack my latest all grain brew into a keg and it had a distinct wine smell to it (I took a small sample from the secondary container and tasted it.) The actual taste is not off putting but the smell is not nice at all.

Without thinking I dry hopped 20 grams of cascade straight into the keg hoping that might mask the smell a little. Then forced carbed it and wacked it straight into the fridge. Was this the right thing to do?

It was an all cascade pale ale and it is the first all grain I have had any hiccups with.

Sean

Sean

What yeast did you use and and what temp was fermentation?

Hey,

I used Wyeast, Californian Ale. Have had good results with it in the past. And a constant 17 degrees on the fermentation got a fermenting fringe with control. So not sure where I went wrong.

I just tasted a sample out of the keg - obviously premature I know, and it isn't too bad. Actually wishing I didn't throw theatre hops in now, also worried about clogging my out tube. Always the way, have a slight hint of trouble and panic my arse off trying to fix it, might have made a real mess of things.

See how it goes in a day or two. Was on a roll with the AG's too.

Sean

Mate I think you are gold either way,cascade throws lots of different florals,many wine like with different yeasts.I'm not familiar with Cal.ale never used it.But your temps are good and if the dry hopping is harsh,time will mellow it.20g of cascade sounds great to me either way. B)

Not sure if cal.ale throws ester/sulphur notes at low/mild temps or higher(many yeasts have unique smells at different temps),could be what you experienced on the nose.Sounds like a keeper to me.Taste it regularly and note how the flavours mellow and blend.

Relax have a homebrew,make another and learn patience.

Just a quick update,

Tasted the cascade american ale yesterday - no wine smell what so ever. Wonderfully hopped with cascade obviously form dry hopping in the keg. It is very similar to Carl Strauss a beer I had frequently in the states. I couldn't be happier.

Patience is definetly a virtue.

Sean

Latest posts

Back