Wine Barrel Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkeske

Reaction score
Just thought I would share a few pics of a wine barrel kegerator that I made. The most time consuming part was cutting and gluing the doors. The draft tower is just made out of bit of painted PVC pipe. Overall was pretty easy to put together. I only had 1 tap, but the barrel would have easily fit 2 or 3 corny kegs

IMG_1792__600x800_.jpg
IMG_1794__600x800_.jpg
IMG_1795__800x600_.jpg

nice work jkeske, i am thinking of doing something very similar, got the thumbs up from the missus
as long as it has a flooded font.
the main thing i need now is the barrel... where to get one... anyone know, nth-sidebrissy?

Looks awesome!

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you keep it cold?

I have been tossing up a similar idea to put my 4 tap beer font on but not exactly sure about the "cold" side of
Things. Has been playin on my mind for ages.

Looks awesome!

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you keep it cold?

Yup, I just used ice for cooling it. It's not really practicable for long term dispensing, but I just made it for parties so chucking in some ice works well for a day or two

awesome looking unit,

just wanted to share my 2c about wine barrels

i've had a few issues with wine barrels shrinking when dry and falling apart,

a mate makes them into planter boxes and on a few he's screwed the bands to the timbers (for cactus so not a damp pot) and they're holding together nicely.

I would hate all your hard work to fall apart one day cos the timbers dried out and shrunk, i guess you could just hose it down every couple weeks, cleans and dampens!

Puts my wheelie bin to shame!

love it I would be screwing it all together as well you could do it from the inside so no one could see the screws

Just thought I would share a few pics of a wine barrel kegerator that I made. The most time consuming part was cutting and gluing the doors. The draft tower is just made out of bit of painted PVC pipe. Overall was pretty easy to put together. I only had 1 tap, but the barrel would have easily fit 2 or 3 corny kegs

nice work, are you going to fit some casters or is that where it lives.

Yard

awesome looking unit,

a mate makes them into planter boxes and on a few he's screwed the bands to the timbers (for cactus so not a damp pot) and they're holding together nicely.

I would hate all your hard work to fall apart one day cos the timbers dried out and shrunk, i guess you could just hose it down every couple weeks, cleans and dampens!

Wine barrels are stored full of water at wineries when not being used for wine... the moisture keeps the staves hard pressed against each other - the way the cooper originally intended them to be. When you're not using it I'd think about putting a few gallons of water in it... a 1/2 cap of bleach tossed in will also prevent any mozzies from breeding if you're worried about that side of things.

awesome looking unit,

Thanks for the heads up. I have 2 barrels that have been dry for about 3 years. I put doors in both of them. One I use for storing grain bags and the other as pictured above. No problems with either of them falling apart so far, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

nice work, are you going to fit some casters or is that where it lives.

Yard

I have no plans on putting casters on it. It would be easy enough to do, but the empty barrel is pretty easy to move. Of course it's a different story once the kegs are in it :p

Latest posts

Back