Williamswarn Personal Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong Roger I certainly appreciate the simplicity of the process and the thought that has gone into such a system it's just the cost.

I could certainly see myself, if I had money to burn, buying one of these as I love toys and learning about all aspects of whatever I'm into.

Like I said maybe a budget model may be a way to get more people to give WW a go.

I was going to purchase a 50l BM though went with putting together a 3v herms and after a couple of months of sorting out plumbing, chasing leaks and dialing everything in I should put my first brew down on it next weekend.

If I had have gone with the BM I wouldn't have so many empty kegs laying about and could have been brewing straight away and not had so many headaches along the way. I will definitely be purchasing a BM in the future.

Cheers

Probably a bad analogy but for me the WW is like a top of the range oven. The RB from cooking terms is very hands on/tactile machine. Between the two I have found my ideal balance; other brewers have found their preferred style (or are still travelling down that road).

All up I have spent $6500 on a WW, $700 on the RB ( pump etc) and around another $500 to $700 on miscellaneous products (bottles, mill, shelves, books ...). A lot on money, yes. But no more to spend

What a debate....lol.

Anyway I put the challenge to the WW owners....make your beer for your state comp, enter them and then when they are judged and make nationals.... then you might be able to justify the costly beer making bling.

Until then they will always be overpriced, so prove you can make good beer.

Year before last at the NSW State competition the winner of the AIPA and APA styles were partials made in a Big W $20 stockpot.

edit: redacted...

I realise it's an easy target.

Happy brewing!

Are we back on the WW bashing again?
While I'd never own one myself (I like building and tinkering too much, and I'm a tightarse) I think they have a valid place in the market
As much of a *insert derogatory name* old Ian Williams is, he's got a fine product there

Some would argue that spending $899 on a SS conical is too excessive. You could purchase multiple plactic ones for less. Eye of the beholder.
Cheers
Elz

Elz said:
Some would argue that spending $899 on a SS conical is too excessive. You could purchase multiple plactic ones for less. Eye of the beholder.
Cheers
Elz
To be fair, a conical fermenter will do something that a plastic fermenter won't, mainly the ability to dump trub/yeast.

welly2 said:
To be fair, a conical fermenter will do something that a plastic fermenter won't, mainly the ability to dump trub/yeast.
I think Elz meant SS conicals vs HDPE conicals
Though I could be wrong

Ducatiboy stu said:
Of course it had nothing to do with the inventor telling us all that we are are fuckwitts and we dont know anything about brewing beer That wasn't what was said and you know it!!!

Damage done RM... Damage done
Just to keep the record straight on what was said and what wasn't you should have another read of the discussion details from Ian Williams I posted in another topic many months ago which can be read here at post number 188

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/76912-williamswarn-personal-brewery/page-10

There are also interesting support for the comments made in a few of the posts that followed by brewers such as Manticle and Parks etc.

Cheers

Wobbly

Pratty1 said:
What a debate....lol.

Anyway I put the challenge to the WW owners....make your beer for your state comp, enter them and then when they are judged and make nationals.... then you might be able to justify the costly beer making bling.

Until then they will always be overpriced, so prove you can make good beer.
Isn't first place in a competition against 45 of the worlds largest breweries satisfaction/proof enough for you. The following is quoted from the topic referenced in post 190 above

"A guy made his 3rd batch of beer in one of our breweries and beat 45 of the worlds biggest breweries in a beer comp. He was the only home brewer to have ever done that in the history of brewing. The only other guy to have done that did it this year with one of our Gen2 machines."

Cheers

Wobbly

wobbly said:
Just to keep the record straight on what was said and what wasn't you should have another read of the discussion details from Ian Williams I posted in another topic many months ago which can be read here at post number 188

There are also interesting support for the comments made in a few of the posts that followed by brewers such as Manticle and Parks etc.

Cheers

Wobbly
It WAS very heavily implied in what he was saying, though

wobbly said:

Cheers

Wobbly
Feel free to post this if you want. You will fire them up no end. Would be fun to see the reactions. But don't worry about it. They are just internet trolls. Not my market. My market are smarter men than these guys. I look forward to you making great wort in the BM and great beer with our unit. You can't go wrong
Cheers
Ian

Yeah...your right...I miss qouted him....my bad

wobbly said:
Isn't first place in a competition against 45 of the worlds largest breweries satisfaction/proof enough for you. The following is quoted from the topic referenced in post 190 above

Just because they are large does not automatically mean they make good beer

Ducatiboy stu said:
Just because they are large does not automatically mean they make good beer
Not implied but what is a fact is that the beer in question was tasted/judged by 20 international judges and judged to be better than the other 40 plus international entries and I guess that "trumps" State and National comps

Couldn't see any WW entries in the results of the RASV 2015 Beer Judging results (see details here http://www.rasv.com.au/Events/AIBA_Home/AIBA_Results/AIBA_Past-Results/AIBA_2015_ResultsCatalogue) but also there weren't a lot of "home brewers" either

Not sure what my last point makes other than it's not easy to win Gold at International Competition

Cheers

Wobbly

I have to agree with you Stuey.

He is clearly full of shit - I mean calling the members of this forum trolls - ffs thats just not right.

RM

wobbly said:
Not implied but what is a fact is that the beer in question was tasted/judged by 20 international judges and judged to be better than the other 40 plus international entries and I guess that "trumps" State and National comps

Couldn't see any WW entries in the results of the RASV 2015 Beer Judging results (see details here http://www.rasv.com.au/Events/AIBA_Home/AIBA_Results/AIBA_Past-Results/AIBA_2015_ResultsCatalogue) but also there weren't a lot of "home brewers" either

Not sure what my last point makes other than it's not easy to win Gold at International Competition

Cheers

Wobbly
actually its quite easy to win golds at some competitions. you pay a certain amount of entry and you get a gold medal.

Elz said:
Probably a bad analogy but for me the WW is like a top of the range oven. The RB from cooking terms is very hands on/tactile machine. Between the two I have found my ideal balance; other brewers have found their preferred style (or are still travelling down that road).

All up I have spent $6500 on a WW, $700 on the RB ( pump etc) and around another $500 to $700 on miscellaneous products (bottles, mill, shelves, books ...). A lot on money, yes. But no more to spend
It is a lot of money but it's not a lot when compared to the amount of money involved in carrying out some hobbies. Some people will tell you that you're crazy to drop 8 grand on brewing gear and then go and spend $40 000 restoring an old car. A Williamswarn owner could have gone a less expensive route but they chose not to as it was their choice to make.

wobbly said:

Cheers

Wobbly
I am not sure you even know what points you are trying to make.....but dont let me stop you, that would be a travesty

wobbly said:
hang on a sec..... You said against 45 of the worlds largest breweries...and we all know that just because they are the biggest does not always mean they are the best beers...

I am sure that most state and national beers would also beat the 45 largest breweries in the world...

Stick to the script B)

Latest posts

Back