Willamette Hops?safale 04? Would They Butcher A Coopers Pale Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletotoro

Reaction score
i'm dropping down a coopers pale ale late this 'sarvo and am using the following...
INGREDIENTS: Tin: Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)

Sugars: 250g dextrose, 250g corn syrup, 500g light dried malt

Hops: Morgans finishing hops Pride of Ringwood
12 g steeped in boiling water 10 mins (teabag type)

Yeast: Coopers ale yeast 6g (from tin)

what i wish to know is
(1) am i better off using safale 04 as the yeast as opposed to the yeast from the kit...
(2)and am also thinking of chucking in 10g or so of Willamette hops maybe in a boil (250g ldm at say 10 mins) or do you reckon this will just bugger it up... still intend to use the POR (same as before steeped teabag for 10 mins)
please note i've made the above recipe before and it came out very drinkable but slightly lacking in flavour ...hence the yeast change and the hop additions...
so what do ya reckon'
cheers simple totoro

The S04 will make it a little more fruity in a quenching way.keep it @18/20c no higher or it may be a little out of balance in such a pale beer.

Willamette are a sensational hop that will add a muted citrusy(read marmalade)type flava in a 10 min addition.
I would be using them at 1 gram per litre(ie 23 litre final volume,then boil 20 odd grams with the dme for 10 min).
POR for aroma as per your last brew and bobs your uncle.
in the deep dark past of my K'nK days, I would do a kit like that with all the same ingredients/amounts except the final volume would be 18, or 20 litres only.this marginally increases bitterness,alcohol,and flava.

Back