Will This Work For Dry Hopping?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$25 is too much.

These are $5

hop-ball.jpg

These are $0.05c

7451-Dryhop5.jpg

Check out your local Kitchen equipment stores they should stock them.

Go for the biggest you can find as hop pellets swell to a big volume when in contact with liquid.

Probably need two large teaballs if dryhopping 20g.

I dry hopped 2 kegs last night. Small voile bag and an SS nut or glass shot glass to keep it at the bottom of the keg. Too easy.

If the hops are going in the fermenter then chuck them in nude if dry hopping with pellets. I had a tap get filled with flowers once but I've never had a problem with pellets going in nude.

The teaballs just dont hold enough hops IMO. They are ok for small amounts but once you start putting 20+ grams in them, not much room for expansion of liquid flow/release. I have used them but now I prefer to wire a half a one on the bottom of my p/up on false bottom/mashtun... works a treat saving any chaff getting thru to the kettle.
I now use stockings for my keg dryhopping... no name ones cost about $1... I cut them up into at least 15, tie a knot, never felt the need to weight them as once they saturated they become suspended in the beer and easy to remove once I like the taste, I could see more of a hop hit if they were weighted at the bottom near the out tube though.

The teaballs just dont hold enough hops IMO. They are ok for small amounts but once you start putting 20+ grams in them, not much room for expansion of liquid flow/release. I have used them but now I prefer to wire a half a one on the bottom of my p/up on false bottom/mashtun... works a treat saving any chaff getting thru to the kettle.
I now use stockings for my keg dryhopping... no name ones cost about $1... I cut them up into at least 15, tie a knot, never felt the need to weight them as once they saturated they become suspended in the beer and easy to remove once I like the taste, I could see more of a hop hit if they were weighted at the bottom near the out tube though.

Pretty much on the money the teaballs clog up easy as. I have one large teaball and now only use it for tea.
If I am dryhopping the Primary I just chuck the pellets in. ( This is the first brew I have done with Simcoe and the first time I got floaters. ) no big deal as I am going to rack to a secondary before bottling.

I've never used a container for dry hopping whether using flowers or pellets. Very few problems (admittedly some) when using flowers and clogging taps, none when using pellets.

Back