Will Safbrew S-33 Make Much Dif To Coopers Original

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer&Kebab

Reaction score
I am brewing various Coopers Original kits (Real Ale, Dark Ale & Stout).. I AM starting to steep grains and add better malts etc.. The next frontier seems to be yeast.. The $$$s are a little tight so I see Safbrew S-33 going cheap and am wondering if this will be a significant improvment to the standard Coopers ale yeast that comes with these kits ?

I haven't used S-33 with the Coopers kits yet but found that in others it gives a nice clean taste. Certainly it'd be worth trying, I used it in an "Old" style kit and was very happy with S-33. Coopers yeast can be ok at lower temps (ie below 20) but I'd say the S-33 is still going to be noticeably better.

Just reporting back on using the s-33 yeast that I bought from Ross.

Recipe:

Coopers Real Ale
500 ldme
500 dext
100 Xtal (cold steeped overnight)
12 grams Hallertau dry hopped into primary @ day 5
made to 19 litres.

After 6 weeks in the bottle the s-33 is clearly better that the Coopers kit yeast (presumeably 514).
I here the term "kit twang" being used a lot.. I feel this yeast has less of that.

My two cents.

I don't mind the coopers yeast and have had some good results in a couple of AG APAs. It seems pretty good if you can keep the temp around 20C. I intend to use this yeast again if the opportunity arises.

514 on the other hand I do not like. It seems to give off some pretty funky smells and flavours, which do subside with age but could be avoided by using a better yeast. It also seems a bit rich to me that you can pay nearly $18 for a kit and get this yeast with it.

So from my experience coopers yeast okay, 514 bad.

My two cents.

I don't mind the coopers yeast and have had some good results in a couple of AG APAs. It seems pretty good if you can keep the temp around 20C. I intend to use this yeast again if the opportunity arises.

514 on the other hand I do not like. It seems to give off some pretty funky smells and flavours, which do subside with age but could be avoided by using a better yeast. It also seems a bit rich to me that you can pay nearly $18 for a kit and get this yeast with it.

So from my experience coopers yeast okay, 514 bad.
What cans do 514 come in?

Back