Will it stay this cloudy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brente1982

Reaction score
ok, so ive made my beez neez clone, using wheat malt as one of the main ingredients, its finished fermenting now, and is obviously cloudy as as shown below in the pic. Is there any way to clear this up prior to bulk priming??? or will it stay this way???

20130831_131828.jpg

Btw, tastes fantastic from the sample

Looks like yeast haze, can you cold chill it? if not maybe drop in some gelatine.

Yeah i can cold chill it if its that simple, how long for, 2 - 4 degrees is coldest my fridge will go in this nice spring weather here in melbourne atm id say, if that.

I use 4c for a few days, but at 2c 24-48 hours should do it.

edit: If it's finished fermenting, ie stable hydrometer readings, I would up the temp 2c warmer for a couple of days, then drop it cold.

Let the yeast clean up after themselves...yeastie housekeeping :) Then drop as cold as you can get it for a couple of days, I go to 0C.

Mix a teaspoon of gelatine in 100ml of boiled water. Add to the fermenter and swirl it to mix. That should help clear it up.

Cosmic Bertie said:
Mix a teaspoon of gelatine in 100ml of boiled water. Add to the fermenter and swirl it to mix. That should help clear it up.
yes, boiled, but not boiling, otherwise you can denature the gelatin

The OP sample almost looks like orange juice!! Haha,

The temp rise first is a diacetyl rest - google it, heaps of technical info on it out there. Basically just razes up the yeasties to finish off their job. For lagers 42-45lt batches, I ferment at 12C, then about day 12 up it to 16-18C, and at the same time giving the brew a gentle stir, also dry hopping at this time. Once it's finished fermenting out completely, I drop the batch to 1-2C for a few days to clear it up nicely.

Latest posts

Back