Will It Be Too Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWB

Reaction score
:unsure:

I brewed an all extract bitter on Monday and am now wondering if it will be too bitter.

the ingredients were

2.8 kg pale male extract
30g Pride of Ringwood (10.9 )
20g Hallertau (4.7)
10g Cascade (6.3)
Saflager Yeast to ferment at 14C

Method: Bring 15lts water to boil add malt extract and POR Hops boil 30 minutes add Hallertau keep boiling another 20 minutes add Cascade and boil another 10 minutes Flame out and force cool and add to fermenter and top up to 20 ltrs.

Thats a 60 minue boil for the POR Hops ????????

The OG was 1040 and the taste was very bitter indeed.
I think it will be ok but gee those Pride of Ringwood hops sure pack a punch

Any Commennts ??

:beer:

Cheers

JWB

Umm, it looks like it'll be nice sometime next year maybe. :lol:

I plugged that into Promash and that'll give you something like 58IBUs, 45 of those from the Pride of Ringwood. I'd say that'll be a bit intense. But time heals all. If you leave it for a while and keep tasting it every now and then, the hops will fade in intensity with time. It may never be great, but you never know.

JWB,

I think you are going to find it far to bitter - I'd be doubling your volume without any hop additions & mixing the 2 before bottling/kegging.

cheers Ross

I have just bottle a pale ale not too different from what you made, with the exception that it was even more over the top:

4.5 kg Light Malt Extract
500g Crystal Malt

60g POR (9%) @ 60min
12g Fuggles (4.5%) @ 15min

At bottling its very intense, but will smooth out over time.

I imagine yours will be similar, although mine has a greater amount of malt to compensate the bitterness. Perhaps just a small addition of malt will ease your pain...

When we were at Ballarat, Jon Stallwood from Nail Ale did a side project with some mad kiwis who were trying to make beer without boiling, by micro-filtration of extract to which hop extract is added and then fermented. He got the decimal place wrong when adding the iso-hop and made a 1700BU beer.

When we were at Ballarat, Jon Stallwood from Nail Ale did a side project with some mad kiwis who were trying to make beer without boiling, by micro-filtration of extract to which hop extract is added and then fermented. He got the decimal place wrong when adding the iso-hop and made a 1700BU beer.

But did he drink it? :blink:

I did have a taste. It was a little difficult to determine what effect the no boil method made to malt nuances as my palate felt as though it had been embalmed.

Mind you, I went to a brewpub in Port Townsend, Washington, and I reckon most of their beers were in that 1700 BU ballpark.

Back