Will Filtering Remove Tannin / Extract?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoser

Reaction score
So I failed to pay attention to my mashout temp and raised it to 90 degrees before lautering to remove grains. I hoped it wouldn't make a difference but it definitely did. My beer is very cloudy and astringent. I have a 1 micron beer filter that I'm planning to run the beer through to hopefully save it. Has anyone any experience on this?
:blink:

Oh and I posted this in the wrong place at first (brain cramp). Anyone know how to remove a post in articles?

hmmmm....

I take it the answer is either no one has tried this or no one is sure? Ah well things could be worse. I'll give it a try and we'll see....

Happy brewing! :D

hmmmm....

I take it the answer is either no one has tried this or no one is sure? Ah well things could be worse. I'll give it a try and we'll see....

Happy brewing! :D

mmmm.... I am not sure if a filter will reduce tannin but I do know that if you let it rest and do a little cold conditioning in time the tannins fall out of suspension just as a shiraz mellows out over time. :icon_cheers:

Sorry but a 1 micron filter is only going to remove suspended solids, dissolved species such as polyphenols (ie tannins) will pass straight through, if you went small enough to strip out tannins you'd be stripping out your colour and remaining carbohydrates too!!

I think you can fine with gelatin to strip out tannins, not sure if it works with beer though.

If you filter after mixing polyclar into your brew it "might" help as it works by attaching to the tannin component of the tannin-protein reaction in a protein haze. Not sure how much it would help though, too lazy to research any further than what I have already said.

Back to snoozin.....

If you filter after mixing polyclar into your brew it "might" help as it works by attaching to the tannin component of the tannin-protein reaction in a protein haze. Not sure how much it would help though, too lazy to research any further than what I have already said.

Back to snoozin.....

Interesting. I did use polyclar after crash chilling. I just finished filtering and it worked like a charm! So either the haze was yeast driven and I was misinterpreting the taste as astringent or your point above proved true. In any event the beer is crystal clear and whilst still a bit young has a beautiful malty aroma on the nose. I'm really happy with this blond in the end.

Thanks all!
:icon_chickcheers:

Latest posts

Back