Will Cold Temps Stop Carbonation For Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrianpc

Reaction score
Will Cold Temps Stop Carbonation for good?

Hello fellow brewers,

Two weeks ago I bottled a brew of Apple and Pear Cider (for the Misses). Just as a test I tried a bottle today to see how it was going....Tasted surprisingly good but DEAD FLAT...

Should I be worried? I know its early, and yes usually I aim for 3mths before drinking but shouldnt there be some carbonation by now?

Usually I bulk prime with around 200g Dextrose but in this case I had no spare fermenter available so I used 1x carbonation drop per 330mL bottle. I had thought that it would be slightly over primed (being a 330mL not a 375mL) but figured this would be ok for a Cider that my Misses will drink.

The bottles have been in my garage, away from sunlight. Minimum temperature has been 10Deg, Maximum 14Deg C. The yeast was the Black Rock kit yeast which says 23-28Deg C on the tin. During fermentation temps were 16-20Deg C.

Is the cider flat because its too early? or been too cold for the yeast to work?

If its too cold will the yeast still kick into gear when the temperatures rise slightly (say around 15-18Deg C).

Keep it in a warmer place for a couple of weeks and it will carbonate, though it will eventually carbonate at those temperatures but will be very slow.

Looks like you already know the answer to this one. Raising the temps and time will sort it out no probs. Rouse the yeast by gently swirling if you're worried about the yeast being too sleepy.

[EDIT: too slow as per]

Back