Will A Sour Ester Bomb Improve With Time?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRusty

Reaction score
HI All,

I've got a failed batch of ale. I brewed in summer, bad move (26C) and as a result the beer tastes sour with a metho aftertaste and no head. No sign of infection just brewed too hot.

My question is this: I don't need the bottles. I'm tempted to leave it for say 3 years and see if it gets drinkable. But I don't know anything about esters and whether with time it may improve. Do you guys know if this is possible? Or am i just wasting storage space and should chuck it?

Thanks

DR

HI All,

I've got a failed batch of ale. I brewed in summer, bad move (26C) and as a result the beer tastes sour with a metho aftertaste and no head. No sign of infection just brewed too hot.

My question is this: I don't need the bottles. I'm tempted to leave it for say 3 years and see if it gets drinkable. But I don't know anything about esters and whether with time it may improve. Do you guys know if this is possible? Or am i just wasting storage space and should chuck it?

Thanks

DR

I've done this with beers before, and whilst they did improve they didn't become great, more like barely drinkable. The thing is, because i am always brewing i always have better things to drink, so those bottles just sit there gathering dust. I reckon if its that bad yo may as well chuck them, especially if storage is in short supply.

Not sure if it would pan out over a long period of time but after 6 weeks one third of my Sour Ester Bombs tasted more like beer and less like cider. Left one till 8 weeks and it still tasted like sour arse. Very random.

Life's too short to drink totally failed disasters.

I've drank some of my failures from early in my brewing journey, but no more, although fortunately I now don't brew any real failures, having learned from earlier ones.

I'd suggest you move on, get rid of the rubbish, and enjoy some quality HB.

Life's too short to drink totally failed disasters.

I'd suggest you move on, get rid of the rubbish, and enjoy some quality HB.

+1. If you want a cracking sour, make an intentional sour with bugs from wyeast/white labs.

Latest posts

Back