Wild fermented young country wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I really should check on those bottles of rosehip wine I have stored away from last year. :)

They grow wild round Bundanoon...

I think you are a bit late though.

Not sure about Bundanoon but it is tradition now for my wife and I to head out on the first Saturday afternoon of April to pick sloe berries.

This is pretty much how Jester King in Texas got the house yeast & bacteria cocktail they use for all their beers. They blogged about it the other day and I'm very keen to give it a go.

759.jpg

Lovely! I think I'll give that a go sometime, definitely.

Sooo I gave this a crack kind of. Not the Katz method but more of a rosehip wine. But with sloe berries.
1kg berries, 1kg of sugar and 4ish litres of water.
Most recipes called for pectic enzyme but I didn't have any so I grated some apple and added it to the crushed berries and left it for 24 hours hoping that pectinesterase would achieve a similar outcome. No idea if this was worthwhile.
I added some of the wild yeast I've been culturing lately so it's still kind of wild fermented.
It is super sexy and looks a little like this:
IMAG0965_1_1_1.jpg

I just had a sample of this one and it is very delicious. The wild yeast is going a bit sloe (pun very much intended) but it is still visibly fermenting.
Also tried the rosehip wine I made the same day but with a commercial flower wine yeast. That is more dry but has a really nice floral/earthy aroma and a subtle tannic finish.
Oh and it looks like this:IMAG1056_1.jpg

I bottled my rosehip mead a week or so back. The taste was very dry and because I didn't have that many rosehips to start with their taste was quite subtle (by which I mean, I couldn't taste that much at all). I expect they've given the mead a little tannin and flavour which will become evident when it's matured a bit. Next step, to make a rosehip beer....

Latest posts

Back