Wild Fermented Lambic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll still see how it goes. But i dont think I should be getting mould

Kabooby :unsure:

I'm pretty sure if you got mould, it is all over.
The yeasts did not take in time to produce a CO2 layer on top to prevent infection.
I am sorry for your loss.

I'm pretty sure if you got mould, it is all over.
The yeasts did not take in time to produce a CO2 layer on top to prevent infection.
I am sorry for your loss.

Thought so.

Glad I only used 1.5 litres

Kabooby :)

Thought so.

Glad I only used 1.5 litres

I'm so glad you only did 1.5L, :icon_cheers:.

Could try innoculating with pedio or lacto only next time you want to try spontaneous and let the bacteria start acidifying it, which will help prevent nasties like mould, enterobacteria etc.

Q

I've read that with sourdough starters, the more medium there is, the quicker and easier it is for the yeast to take hold and kill the other bacteria off. Maybe that translates through to lambics as well?

Not that I would suggest sitting 40L of wort out in the open to test :p

lambic chicken - nice idea - marinate a whole chook in those 1.5 L and then roast it...

Let me first say I know very little about lambics and agree with you about reducing the pH to reduce enterobacter and the likes but from a micro standpoint, wouldn't bringing the pH down to much be selecting for Acetic acid bacteria? I really think Brett. (required isn't it?) and even Lactic acid bacteria are gong to struggle of you go down too low..Someone mentioned a pH of about 3??, and any wild Sacc. strains would basically be wiped out.

I heard that the area around these breweries where they use spontanious fermentation is/was mostly grain farmland and hence the larger volumes of specific wild yeast in the air which gives a quick start to the ferment. I wouldn't be surprised if they brewed around harvest time when you would have the maximum amount of particulate matter in the air. You might want to take your coolship out to some farmland and let it sit for a few hours/ days???...Just a thought (and is quite late so probably a bad one at that). ;)

I guess it would be possible to make a Lambic starter wouldn't it? Step it up to the point where you are pitching a good amount of 'what ever it is' and minimising risk of mould on a larger batch.

Q suggested the lacto to acidify. Could you do this for a starter and once she kicked off with no unwanted funk it would be the same as stepping up any other starter.

It sort of goes against your old skool lambic ideal Kabooby but just a thought.

Cheers.

I dont think I left the wort open for long enough. Next batch I will do the same thing but leave it out for a bit longer.

By then I should be on the Kabooby acres with plenty of wild yeast flying around :party:

BTW the other 38 litres is doing sweet

Back